Talk

Advanced search

Assange again

(51 Posts)
aliceliddell Wed 21-Sep-11 19:15:03

He is objecting to his ghost written autobiography coming out tomorrow. It includes his suggestion that the Swedish rape case was the result of either a conspiracy or a 'misunderstanding'. He says it is being published 'without his consent'. Oh, the irony.

SybilBeddows Wed 21-Sep-11 20:46:38

I can't even remember where things are with the rape cases. Is he still waiting to be tried?

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 21-Sep-11 21:22:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UsingMainlySpoons Wed 21-Sep-11 21:24:36

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 21-Sep-11 22:02:22

AyeBelieveInTheHumanityOfMen Wed 21-Sep-11 22:51:12

See? I complained just now on another thread about the rate at which I go through ironymeters on this board.

Bang goes another one.

SuchProspects Thu 22-Sep-11 00:01:23

Sybil - Assange is still awaiting a ruling by UK courts as to whether he will be extradited. Back in July they delayed making a ruling and didn't set a date...

aliceliddell Thu 22-Sep-11 18:12:18

Oh, my sides! Do you think he regrets the misunderstanding that led to him spending all the advance he got on legal fees? Or the misunderstanding that he would agree to publication since it is, after all, an autobiography, so he did willingly participate to start with? Maybe he should write a brief history of the legal definition of consent? <helpful suggestion emoticon>

UsingMainlySpoons Thu 22-Sep-11 18:16:41

aliceliddell Thu 22-Sep-11 18:47:13

Has anyone else strengthened their belief in the concept of karma since reading this?

Beachcomber Thu 22-Sep-11 19:05:52

Hahahahaha

Loving karma, irony meters and helpful suggestions.

aliceliddell Thu 22-Sep-11 19:11:55

Do you think we should write in? Bianca, Helena, Ken & co haven't shown up yet to support him, maybe we should?

MooncupGoddess Thu 22-Sep-11 19:17:29

Here is Assange's account of how those pesky Swedes only went to the police because he didn't call them after sex.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/julian-assange-i-did-not-rape-those-women-2358652.html

Those who have read the testimony against him may notice a few gaps in his account - and indeed the same can be said of his response to Canongate re the unauthorised book publication.

aliceliddell Thu 22-Sep-11 19:31:45

Well, youknow how it is, Mooncup, he doesn't call by Day 3 - call the cops. If I had a pound for every time....
FFS, does he have such a low opinion of women that he thinks this crap is even semi-credible?

weevilswobble Thu 22-Sep-11 19:48:41

Weevils is the only one in love with Assange then? look at his cute little soft smooth face and his white/blonde hair, he's just so naughty too. Shivers and squeals quietly at the same time.
<ready forconfused and hmm and flaming>

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 22-Sep-11 19:50:55

MooncupGoddess Thu 22-Sep-11 20:01:16

Well, Weevils, Assange clearly enjoys using women for sex when he feels horny, and he probably hasn't had as many opportunities as usual lately, so why not head up to Ellingham Hall and offer your services?

He will probably make you sign a disclaimer not to 'cry rape' if he doesn't call you afterwards, though.

confidence Thu 22-Sep-11 21:26:24

I don't get it. He hasn't been found guilty of anything, or even tried yet. So what's the irony?

weevilswobble Thu 22-Sep-11 21:30:23

He outs the most powerful regimes and the most dishonest greedy people in the world. No wonder people want to nail him for something. What is there not to get about my post? I like him. Or shall we all follow what someone else says like sheep?

MooncupGoddess Thu 22-Sep-11 22:13:35

The thing is, Weevils, that he comes across as rather a nasty piece of work. Even if one puts the sex charges to one side as not yet proven one way or the other, he still seems to be anti-Semitic and unconcerned about the lives of people affected by his casual approach to confidential material. See:

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/sep/18/julian-assange-wikileaks-nick-cohen?INTCMP=SRCH

AyeBelieveInTheHumanityOfMen Thu 22-Sep-11 22:19:50

I still believe the women.

SybilBeddows Thu 22-Sep-11 22:31:32

I believe them too.

All that misinformation put out by his lawyers about there being a charge in Sweden called 'sex by surprise' is another reason to think he is a pretty unpleasant human being, and there are enough accounts from other women with whom he has had contact (not people he slept with) to suggest that he has some very serious boundary issues.

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot bargepole.

MooncupGoddess Thu 22-Sep-11 23:11:05

I am reluctant to pass judgement on a complicated sexual situation which is the subject of criminal charges in a country whose laws I don't understand.

BUT it is very clear from Assange's own account that he sees women as a sexual resource rather than equal human beings. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if, having had consensual sex with a woman once, he assumed he was entitled to do so again whenever he felt like it.

aliceliddell Fri 23-Sep-11 12:39:50

Sybil I wouldn't touch him with your bargepole
confidence because his argument is that since the women participated to start with, they could not withdraw consent later. But he did exactly that with the book even though he had a contract. The women were not bound by a contract.

Beachcomber Fri 23-Sep-11 12:45:03

It is that common ironical situation of having something you said come back to bite you on the arse. And show you up to be an arse.

Hence sniggers all round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now