Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Learning to read...

(23 Posts)
FannyLogan Sat 17-Sep-11 23:14:39

Teaching my daughter to read at the moment and came across these....

Favourite boys words

Favourite girls words

I mean really?? What are we teaching girls?? 'Clothes, hairband, heart, love sparkle'???

It is so depressing and just adds to my feminist rage. Sigh.

FebreezeYourJeans Sat 17-Sep-11 23:22:22

How unutterably depressing. angry

If it's any tiny consolation I teach, and we use many forms of magnetic words/letters but I have never seen anything as crass as these in any class/school I've been in.

UsingMainlySpoons Sat 17-Sep-11 23:23:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

joaninha Sat 17-Sep-11 23:26:00

Don't forget the 'jewels, tiara, princess, diamond'! Just creating a nice consumer base for the future....

rosy71 Sun 18-Sep-11 17:46:25

I'm not sure what you mean. I can't see anything like you describe.confused

UsingMainlySpoons Sun 18-Sep-11 17:53:18

UsingMainlySpoons Sun 18-Sep-11 17:53:59

UsingMainlySpoons Sun 18-Sep-11 17:55:06

rosy71 Sun 18-Sep-11 17:59:28

Ah, I see. Not good.sad

SardineQueen Sun 18-Sep-11 18:23:02

Jesus christ.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Sun 18-Sep-11 18:32:04

sad What a complete PITA!

FromGirders Sun 18-Sep-11 18:38:28

This defies reason shock

sad

joaninha Sun 18-Sep-11 18:39:08

Of course when said girl gets older and IS obsessed with looking pretty whilst said boy IS into adventure, trucks and derring-do, everyone will throw up hands and say "See, it is natural after all!"

Good Amazon reviews tho.

MoChan Mon 19-Sep-11 10:40:46

How WEIRD and ridiculous is it that learning to read aids should have a gender focus? I feel like crying.

InnocentRedhead Mon 19-Sep-11 10:46:14

First foray into feminist boards, be kind - I am more scared of you than AIBU smile

Really? Gender focused reading aids? To be honest I am not shocked about this. Society is all for defining gender from such a young age and outcast those who do not fit in with gender stereotypes (eg. Those born into the wrong body - different issue from this though). Children are groomed into liking the 'right' things even when learning to read?

You just have to look at gender orientated toys around. Little boys have cars and all their action men or whatever. Girls are groomed into being housewives - dolls, toy kitchens and not to mention bloody princess toys and barbie doll. But reading aids? I despair!

HeavyHeidi Mon 19-Sep-11 13:38:14

Fluff?? Seriously, fluff, clothes and make-up are the things that interest girls?

InnocentRedhead Mon 19-Sep-11 16:08:42

Just KNEW i would kill the thread pretty much :/

Tianc Mon 19-Sep-11 16:20:51

Indigo Worldwide Ltd website. Their email is sales@indigoworldwide.co.uk

SardineQueen Mon 19-Sep-11 16:27:32

Hello innocent redhead!

Not killed at all smile

Tianc Mon 19-Sep-11 16:32:58

Have just emailed them.

InnocentRedhead Mon 19-Sep-11 16:51:16

I will be emailing them too, I really am astounded, if I am honest. As I mentioned with the toys - it is so hard not buying gender specific toys; especially with xmas coming up for DSD - but to influence them in reading too (which every child needs!!!) is abhorrent.

Going off now to have a good read through the rest of the feminist threads. Fascinating, even if you are all a little scary though lol.

PeppaPigandGeorge Thu 22-Sep-11 10:29:42

Look closely at the packaging on the amazon link..... this sparkly crap will "COMPLIMENT your National Literacy range". I think we know all we need to know about Indigo Worldwide and literacy!!

I love the 5* review. It's priceless!

SweetGrapes Thu 22-Sep-11 10:43:50

5* review!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now