Advanced search

Interesting blog on the "Sexual Revolution" in the music industry

(8 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Thu 15-Sep-11 10:30:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 15-Sep-11 10:31:07

solidgoldbrass Fri 16-Sep-11 19:56:22

It is an interesting post but what he seems not to have picked up on is that, despite all the marketing, a lot of teenagers are not listening to Katy Perry and Rihanna. An awful lot of young people despise mainstream pop and don't buy it. The more the big record companies peddle the same old shit to a dwindling audience (to get a chart hit now you have to sell about a tenth of the amount of records you did 20 years ago) the more that audience will dwindle.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 16-Sep-11 20:39:39

SinicalSal Fri 16-Sep-11 22:08:05

I think i agree SGB, any teen who is genuinely into music seeks below the surface. Wanting to be the first one to discover some hot new band is a constant among serious musos, why in my day etc etc. And now there FB / spotify and so on to share videos and new stuff. I wonder in some ways if the underground has ever been more mainstream.

Of course that leaves the worrying notion that the likes of ladyGaga etc are listened to by preteens who haven't developed an active interest yet. Or critical thinking.

solidgoldbrass Fri 16-Sep-11 22:43:15

I'm not sure even that is that much of a problem, as a lot of preteens have parents who are fond of music and therefore expose their preteens to good music.

MillyR Fri 16-Sep-11 22:50:35

I have taken DD (a preteen) to two concerts of her two main musical interests - Gaga and Glee. Glee, which I assumed would be mainly a children's thing, had very few teens and children; it was overwhelmingly an adult audience. Gaga on the other hand had lots of children and teens in the audience.

I think the positive elements of Gaga far outweigh the bad.

MillyR Fri 16-Sep-11 23:27:32

I also think that between the comments on this thread and the content of the original article, this is all rather misleading.

1. The article doesn't say that Rhianna and Gaga have the same songwriter.
2. The two people mentioned as co-songwriters for Gaga in the article are

a. Red One - he hasn't really written with anybody else apart from Gaga, so the idea that he is part of a group of 10 men controlling pop writing isn't really true.

b. Fernando Garibay - he has written for a few people, but not the series of female stars included in this article, other than Gaga. I wouldn't really consider him to be middle aged (judging from pics) and I wouldn't consider him to be that influential in pop music ( although I confess I mainly listen to folk).

3. Many songs performed by other artists were written by Gaga.

I'm not going to look into the sleeve notes for other performers; I'm just going to not trust this articles as from what I do know, it is giving an impression which is misleading.

I think it is a common age old tradition in music for people to slate women for having songs written for them or for having a male co-writer, and yet I've never heard anybody suggest that Johnny Cash shouldn't have sung Ring of Fire just because he didn't write it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now