Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Blog post about the film Friends With Benefits

(41 Posts)
FlamingoBingo Tue 13-Sep-11 17:37:24

thought you might be interested to read it!

ComradeJing Wed 14-Sep-11 07:47:16

Interesting! I must admit I didn't notice the retard comment blush but I was shocked at the rape comment.

I quite enjoyed the movie and really liked her as a character.

edd1337 Wed 14-Sep-11 07:56:10

some big writer being bitter and upset over a fictional film? Well I never...

FlamingoBingo Wed 14-Sep-11 08:56:12

what's your point, Edd? She's not bitter over it - she said she liked it. What's your problem with people picking up on words that should not be being used in these contexts?

edd1337 Wed 14-Sep-11 09:03:12

It seems rather pointless moaning about it. Strawdogs, Clockwork Orange and Day Of The Woman had horrific rape scenes and they were still released. Whining about such a thing never seems to achieve a result

CO was banned, fair enough, but by the director iirc

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 14-Sep-11 09:21:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

edd1337 Wed 14-Sep-11 09:25:39

Not an anti-feminist. This isn't the first time you've accused me and it wont be the last

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 14-Sep-11 09:29:12

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Wed 14-Sep-11 09:31:13

How old is DD1, SGM?

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 14-Sep-11 09:33:12

edd1337 Wed 14-Sep-11 09:36:52

Bollocks. The lesbian scenes have nothing to do with that. The scenes aren't that long either. The film itself is rather good. Well choreographed dancing and psychological horror at it's best. Great ending too

UsingMainlySpoons Wed 14-Sep-11 09:37:56

ChristinedePizan Wed 14-Sep-11 09:38:35

I have seen it SGM. I thought it was a bit silly. I'm not sure if I would let my teenage daughter watch it, depends on how old she is and how squeamish/sensitive she is, quite apart from the lesbian masochism stuff. The Red Shoes is a much better film if she wants to watch something about ballet dancers going crazy

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 14-Sep-11 09:39:34

LRDTheFeministDragon Wed 14-Sep-11 09:39:46

Ooh, if Black Swan is any good, I should watch it. But then, I won't be able to go out of the house on my own, my husband owns all my money and I can't earn any of my own, I have twelve children because marital rape is legal and there's no birth control, and I won't know how to look up the cinema times because no-one teaches women to read ...

Oh, wait! 'Whining about such a thing never seems to achieve a result'. But, you know ... something did.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Wed 14-Sep-11 09:40:35

It is ver well done, but they do seem to focus a lot on the sexual relationships. There's also a scene where the ballet instructor or whatever he is forcibly kisses Natalie Portman's character and claims he's "seduced her". And women aren't portrayed too well either, imo.

I'll rewatch it tonight, make notes and email you. smile I remember being a bit hmm when I watched it. But didn't give it my full attention, tbh

edd1337 Wed 14-Sep-11 09:42:07

No LRD. Totally wrong. Whining didn't, action did

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 14-Sep-11 09:42:23

UsingMainlySpoons Wed 14-Sep-11 09:44:32

ChristinedePizan Wed 14-Sep-11 09:45:41

No, me neither really but that is generally a better film.

Ooh I'd forgotten about the whole bit with the dance instructor which was horrible (I saw it nearly a year ago).

I thought the whole thing was pretty creepy tbh and no, it really doesn't portray women in a good light. Or ballet for that matter

ChristinedePizan Wed 14-Sep-11 09:46:16

I haven't seen Friends with Benefits so shouldn't really be on this thread grin

BellaneyMimphus Wed 14-Sep-11 09:47:12

Everyone I know who saw Black Swan declared it laughable.

LRDTheFeministDragon Wed 14-Sep-11 09:47:29

Oh, bless you edd, I'm sure you've no idea which is which. grin

The suffragetes never discussed things. They just acted. Likewise, we never do anything, we just talk. As women are wont to do.

Shite, I'm wrong again!

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 14-Sep-11 09:47:36

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Wed 14-Sep-11 09:49:25

I'll have a look at that one, christine.... smile

For some reason, the bit with the dance instructor really stuck in my mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now