Talk

Advanced search

Mum's lunch/Dad's lunch

(15 Posts)
coastgirl Mon 12-Sep-11 17:43:25

I picked up a Tesco magazine today - alongside the usual patronising drivel about "mums", there's a promotion page about "tuna fillers" (which look as nice as they sound). I quote:

"Mum's lunch. Watching your weight? Mix reduced fat Tuna & Sweetcorn Filler (35 per cent lower in fat than the standard range) into a Greek potato salad.

Dad's lunch. For a hearty, fuss-free meal, fill a jacket potato with Tuna&Sweetcorn Filler, top with grated cheese and grill for a moment to melt the cheese. Guaranteed to beat boardroom boredom."

<bangs head against wall>

For the record, in my house, it's DH who's counting calories and me who's eating for Britain, as I'm breastfeeding (but to be honest I eat like that all the time anyway).

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Mon 12-Sep-11 17:44:57

So the Mums are all fatties that need to lose a few pounds and the Dads are all corporate types that somehow have access to a grill etc at work.
Who on earth writes these articles?!

startail Mon 12-Sep-11 17:45:37

Grrr DH is enough of an idiot about eating up all the left overs at dinner and them demanding biscuits. He doesn't need encouraging.

coastgirl Mon 12-Sep-11 17:46:40

I love that men get "hearty" food (because you need to stock up on calories for going down t'pit -sorry, into the boardroom) and women get some sad little leaves and a frankly disgusting looking spoonful of mush.

jellybeans208 Mon 12-Sep-11 18:45:22

I work with all females and never see any of us eating a salad or potato salad for lunch. That isnt real food and the only salad we would be seen eating is the garnish on the side of our burger and chips,and we are not overweight.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 12-Sep-11 19:09:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fluffles Tue 13-Sep-11 13:26:40

lol that a man in a 'boardroom' needs a hearty lunch as if he'd been laying bricks or chopping wood all day grin

WilsonFrickett Tue 13-Sep-11 13:50:45

Do men have GRILLS in the boardroom??? Now the patriarchy has really gone too far...

(I know it's a shit joke but if I don't make a joke I am going to rant. Then cry. Then bang my head on the table. A lot)

Birdsgottafly Tue 13-Sep-11 14:43:31

Tbh this attitude does men no good, either and is part of the reason why so many have heart attacks etc, although women are now catching up because of smoking/drinking.

WilsonFrickett Tue 13-Sep-11 16:55:11

Maybe they could have the reduced fat one then Bird, minus the cheese? wink

amistillsexy Tue 13-Sep-11 17:01:18

No, men don't cook that shit food at work. They come home for lunch, and their loving wives have it all ready for them on the table!

KRICRI Tue 13-Sep-11 17:36:08

Aaargh, another one. On one hand, I feel like writing stinking complaints to Tesco and to M & S (re the other thread) but I know it probably will make no difference, so it's probably a waste of time.

In both cases, I'm sure they've had the best marketing gurus in to tell them just how to pitch things to get max sales. They won't have come out and said it directly, but implicit in that is, "Play on the self-consciousness and paranoia of women. They'll buy your stuff to make themselves feel better."

(I think I need to lie down in a dark room.)

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 13-Sep-11 17:42:43

Please write to them! It will only make a difference if people do. I never pick up Tesco mags because I don't shop there, but I think I might write to them anyway.

This sort of thing is insidious and seems harmless, and is vulnerable to people saying it's 'only a little thing' and 'harmless', but it all adds up.

Blu Tue 13-Sep-11 17:51:37

Bleugh! They sound revolting anyway, but yes, that is such lazy, idiotic silly copy. It insults the trees it uses for such rubbish more than women, I think! All that ghastly alliteration.

WilsonFrickett Tue 13-Sep-11 17:59:02

Yep, whoever coined 'beat boardroom boredom' should have their word processor ritually sacrificed...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now