Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feminists look away now!!

(12 Posts)
Istillfeelseventeen Mon 12-Sep-11 17:02:06

My niece's (female) maths teacher taught the class a nice little acronym this week to help them remember to count decimal places when multiplying decimals - "M.D.P." - "Mother does the polishing"!!!!!

steamedtreaclesponge Mon 12-Sep-11 17:03:25

Good grief.

Surely there must be better ones than that?

Mother Does the Postman?
Mother Destroys the Patriarchy?

My Dad's Pissed?
My Donkey Prances?
Maths Doesn't Patronise?

AnyoneButLulu Mon 12-Sep-11 17:05:37

That's just feeble. How are you meant to remember anything so dull. The whole point of acronyms is that they're funny or transgressive. Can't be arsed with the feminist point, just so annoyed by the educational failing.

Istillfeelseventeen Mon 12-Sep-11 17:09:33

Not sure of the educational failing, it obviously stuck in her head long enough for her to tell me

KRICRI Mon 12-Sep-11 17:38:33

I like "Mother Destroys the Partriarchy!"

Way back in the mists of time, when I did nursing training, I made up an aide memoire to remember the Roper, Logan and Tierney's 12 "Activities of Daily Living," which some of my colleagues and I used.

Men Can Be Egotistical Egg Heads Therefore Many Women Will Suffer Sexism Daily.

(Maintaining a safe environment, Communication, Breathing, Eating & Drinking, Elimination, Temperature maintenance, Mobilisation, Washing & dressing, Working/Playing, Sexuality, Sleeping, Dying.)

grin

GothAnneGeddes Mon 12-Sep-11 20:23:53

KRI - I am very impressed indeed. grin

AliceWyrld Mon 12-Sep-11 20:26:16

KRICRI 12 activities of daily living shock dying?! shock I have no clue what you are talking about but this has scared me!

KRICRI Mon 12-Sep-11 21:49:15

Oh don't worry Alice. That part only comes at the very end of life, not actually every day! grin

Basically ADL was a sort of model we were "taught" as a framework for care planning, but also tended to crop up in some form in tests and assessments (hence the need to remember them all!)

BobBanana Mon 12-Sep-11 22:33:04

Message withdrawn

feministlurker Mon 12-Sep-11 23:01:33

I like that KRICRI! They should have taught that to the medical students too!

KRICRI Mon 12-Sep-11 23:22:59

Whoops, yes, you're right! I don't think in my current dottage, I'd be given to using the term egghead very much though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now