Talk

Advanced search

Whatever happened to Dora the Explorer ?

(26 Posts)
CadburyGuinness Wed 07-Sep-11 13:37:52

When DC1 was little, Dora was (a cartoon small girl) only ever seen in shorts and rucksack who spent her days rescuing puppies and having solo adventures in a quite acceptable feminism-for-preschoolers manner.
Now that DC2 is a similar age I have returned to the world of Nick Jr , to discover that Dora now swans about in Fairy Frocks and tutus being all pink and girly while her (male) cousin Diego now has all the animal-saving adventures.
I'm appalled.
Am I over thinking it?

UsingMainlySpoons Wed 07-Sep-11 14:05:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CadburyGuinness Wed 07-Sep-11 14:11:56

Thanks, UMS, I'll order that book

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 07-Sep-11 14:14:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CRIKRI Wed 07-Sep-11 14:37:11

Yes, it's depressing. Original Dora and "Tweenager" Dora

It's goodbye practical trainers, shorts, tee shirt, back back, haircut and adventures and hello tight leggings, floral dress, jewellery, waxed eyebrows, lipstick, long flowing hair, thinness and pre-occupation with fashion and appearance.

It actually started a couple of years ago in the US but has taken awhile to percolate elsewhere.

CRIKRI Wed 07-Sep-11 14:37:46

Make that back pack please!

ExitPursuedByATroll Wed 07-Sep-11 14:39:32

WHAT!!!!! Dora was one of the few progammes I could stomach when DD was little. She has lost the shorts and the pith helmet? That is just astounding.

MissTinaTeaspoon Wed 07-Sep-11 14:42:05

shock at new Dora...please don't tell me she's on her way over here? Dd loves Dora above all else, I really want to avoid all the Bratz-y crap stuff, and if she discovers this makeover I'll stand no chance at all sad

CadburyGuinness Wed 07-Sep-11 14:43:27

Shit, I'm scared for our daughters at times

CadburyGuinness Wed 07-Sep-11 15:26:09

I think its just that she seemed a beacon of sense amid the Disney Princess Sparkly Pinkness, so I'm now more upset than ever that she's gone over to the pink and fluffy side, and donated her personality to her male cousin

Yes I do Know she's not real!

WhollyGhost Wed 07-Sep-11 15:36:34

I let my DD watch her on the basis of reccomendations on here - she looked more like the old Dora, but it was Deigo who did the cool stuff.

SpringHeeledJack Wed 07-Sep-11 15:41:39

def not overthinking

message seems to be "we can't have girls going around exploring! Get the sparkle out, quick, and get her in front of a mirror instead"

LilBB Wed 07-Sep-11 15:41:59

We watch a lot of Dora. Have DVDs and watch it on Nick Jr. I'm yet to see a princess one although I have seen the toys. They look odd and DD doesn't recognise her as Dora. Diego turns up every now and then with baby Jaguar but in the ones I've seen he does so for Doras help. They don't make Go Diego Go anymore so clearly Dora is better. I think if a princess one comes on I will turn over.

LilBB Wed 07-Sep-11 16:30:31

FGS just seen an advert for pretty sparkle sunshine princess Dora or something similar.

sprogger Wed 07-Sep-11 16:41:00

I saw a "princess Dora" episode when I was in Canada recently. Probably worth getting old-stylel Dora DVDs if you're a fan of the adventurous version. (AND both DS1 and DD LOVED Dora. I very much want DS2 to see the same version.)

Insomnia11 Wed 07-Sep-11 16:43:50

Lost in the Andes I hope. smile

The original programme was nice and had such laudable aims, but COULD THEY HAVE FOUND ANYONE WITH A MORE ANNOYING VOICE? Argh.

Bitdifferent Wed 07-Sep-11 17:07:14

Just watched it Dora dressed in shorts & t shirt having an adventure. All is not lost!

LilBB Wed 07-Sep-11 17:09:09

I must admit I do wish Dora was dubbed English. DD now says 'Oh maaaan' and 'we did it' in an American accent. There's nothing wrong with an American accent on American children but it gives me away as a mother who is relaxed with the amount of tv we watch.

sprogger Wed 07-Sep-11 17:17:47

Oh Lord, both my children say "baby jagWAR," which drives DH crazy. Mind you, I grew up saying jagWAR, so they can always blame me even though I know it's really from Dora.

WakeMeUpWhenSeptemberEnds Thu 08-Sep-11 12:43:07

Whatever you do, don't buy the magazine. We had only seen the original type episodes and I was horrified at the magazine content.

TheFeministsWife Fri 09-Sep-11 22:11:47

This is sad. sad When dd1 was little she loved Dora (as did I TBH) it was the pretty much the one show I could stomach and I loved the fact that she wasn't all simpering and sparkly. DD1 is very much like (the old) Dora hates anything sparkly, is very very far from simpering loves getting dirty, loves science (that's my girl grin), loves experiments and ninjas and lego and spies and secret agents, and has refused to wear skirts or dresses since she was 4.

Now dd2 is at the age dd1 was when she loved Dora and she mostly doesn't watch it as dd1 controls the remote during the daytime, (Digimon, Lilo and Stitch, Gigglebiz) but she does watch the occasional Dora when dd1 is in school. It's sad that they made her all bloody bimbo. angry DD2 is into sparkly and disney princess sad but also loves all the things above that dd1 loves oh and she wants to be a builder when she grows up. grin

Ephiny Mon 12-Sep-11 12:54:40

It seems a shame to me. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with sparkles and pretty princesses, plenty of children like that stuff, which is fine. But why does everything aimed at girls have to be like that? Isn't it boring for everything to be generic and the same?

MissTinaTeaspoon Mon 12-Sep-11 16:29:18

I'm also disappointed to have just noticed that the new version of the Backpack toy comes with a hairbrush and bracelet instead of video camera and telescope like our original version sad. What's more useful when exploring? A compass or a hairbrush? angry

KRICRI Mon 12-Sep-11 21:53:48

Slight tangent here, but since Dora seems to have gone off the rails, can anyone suggest any other cartoons/children's programmes that arent riddled with sexist stereotypes - ones that would be particularly good for boys or girls sort of 3 to 6? Thanks.

TheOldestCat Mon 12-Sep-11 22:00:36

Just showed this to DH, who is appalled, as am I. Nick Jr now banned in twhis house. Apart from Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom. And peppa pig.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now