Talk

Advanced search

If advertisers are targeting women in their ads, they should stop being so patronising and regarding women as a group of braindead twats?

(42 Posts)
PivotPivotPIVOT Sat 03-Sep-11 16:42:01

Someone on MN said that in advertising speak, kitchen spray ads were described as 2Cs and a K (which means 2 cunts in a kitchen). Nice.

WHY when adverts for some stuff is directed at women, do they show such a stupid and unrealistic view of women? This thread is inspired really by the thread currently in chat.

Just of the top of my head

-the ads for Boots - all aimed at women. Stupid contrived scenarios and cliches of women being unable to stop shopping
-lancome Mascara. Apparently we all want to look like dolls hmm
- Special K. God forbid you CAN'T have that cake, you fat bastard, eat this crappy cereal and you will fit in that vile red dress.
- Every sanitary product ad

Do any women actually work in advertising?

PivotPivotPIVOT Sat 03-Sep-11 16:42:28

Apols for appalling grammar in thread title.

celebmum Sat 03-Sep-11 16:45:21

I agree mostly, but to be fair to the advertisement boffins their only Market for sanitary products are women surley!?! They're aimed at women as there rem pretty much just for women!?! grin

celebmum Sat 03-Sep-11 16:48:30

Just read your post PROPERLY!

Yes they're for women but there's no need to be so patronising! grin

Apologies, I get it now, forgive me I am demeanour from toothache! smile

PivotPivotPIVOT Sat 03-Sep-11 16:49:59

grin celeb. I hope your toothache gets better soon - nothing worse (not even childbirth imo)

TheProvincialLady Sat 03-Sep-11 16:54:34

Stupid, vain, shallow, over excitable, has no interest in life except friendships with other vacious women, celebrities and shopping. Yes that describes me, advert people. I will definitely buy your products if you present me in this way.

WHY do they do it? Because if they want to sell you something to fix a problem, first they have to create a problem. If we all feel ugly and incapable, and that all women love shopping and celebrities, and the cure is to buy X product endorsed by X celebrity, that's what we will do.

alexpolismum Sat 03-Sep-11 16:58:28

There was an advert on over here a couple of months ago for one of those blender/ chopper thingies, with a woman in highheels in the kitchen saying "Men have 5 blades - women deserve at least one!" and holding up the chopper. Because of course a blender/ chopper is exclusively for women's use, and we always wear highheels all the time at home, they're so comfortable.

anti-aging products with a youngish looking model who wouldn't know what aging was if it came up and bit her - are we all so thick that we actually think we can all look like we're 25 instead of 40 if we use the product?

Yama Sat 03-Sep-11 17:00:50

I mute all advert breaks as I don't want my children being influenced by them.

I do not enter Boots because of their ads.

Most marketing makes me angry actually.

TheProvincialLady Sat 03-Sep-11 17:04:44

alexpolismum I walked past an advert for anti ageing facecare - think it was Clarins - and the model was no older than 15. Looked 13.

carpwidow Sat 03-Sep-11 17:06:00

Sorry - I love shopping with my girlfriends - love the Boots' adverts (especially the Christmas ones), the 'get ready for summer ad'. inspired me to buy Special K to lose a few pounds before my holiday. I lost a few pounds, felt more confident on holiday in my swimsuit (though you'll be relieved to know OP is wasn't red!! Being a ginger it does clash somewhat grin). I enjoyed myself on holiday because I felt more confident at the pool - does that mean I had to stick to the SHALLOW end?

TheProvincialLady Sat 03-Sep-11 17:10:27

You do realise you could have eaten weetabix or marmite on toast 5 times a day or whatever the diet is, and it would have had the same effect? It's just calorie reducing. Special K is a big con.

alexpolismum Sat 03-Sep-11 17:11:14

funny really, Provincial Lady, because must teenagers are desperate to grow up and look older!

alexpolismum Sat 03-Sep-11 17:11:31

most, not must

TheProvincialLady Sat 03-Sep-11 17:12:19

I know - I always looked 5 years younger than I really was and it pained me. I yearned to look 16 when I was 13, like all the cool girls.

carpwidow Sat 03-Sep-11 17:12:40

I like the red berry one! smile

carpwidow Sat 03-Sep-11 17:13:25

...and I want my eyelashes to look long. My shallowness is frightening me.

TheProvincialLady Sat 03-Sep-11 17:13:59

If you like it then great - but it is a shame that summer brings loads of "Women you are fat and can't be seen in a swimming pool like that woman, so buy our product" and none for men. Who could more often do with the advicegrin

PivotPivotPIVOT Sat 03-Sep-11 17:14:54

Stupid Clinque advert today, with a model of about 18, showing before and after shots for using some kind of face serum.

She looked exactly the same before as after - becauae she was bloody 18!

carpwidow Sat 03-Sep-11 17:15:36

Tell me about it Provincial. The moobs in Majorca this year were amazing!

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 03-Sep-11 17:16:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PivotPivotPIVOT Sat 03-Sep-11 17:16:20

I am pretty shallow myself - however I could do without adverts for mascara using post production techniques. I know that a £10 mascara is not going to make my eyelashes look 6 inches long - why do they have to advertise in such a fatuous way?

carpwidow Sat 03-Sep-11 17:16:53

The only thing I find offensive in advertising these days is that FECKING Churchill Dog. Oh yes....!! Anyone know a good vet?

carpwidow Sat 03-Sep-11 17:17:17

...and the Meerkats aren't far behind.. smile

PivotPivotPIVOT Sat 03-Sep-11 17:17:20

That whole 'here come the gurlz' with women tripping happily down the street because they have got 3 for 2 boxsets of crap from Boots.

It's shite.

PureBloodMuggle Sat 03-Sep-11 17:22:40

I feel the need to point out that sanitary products are not beautiful.

Oh and also, shag off you twit.

Periods are not happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now