Talk

Advanced search

Feminists don't hate men

(1004 Posts)
dittany Fri 02-Sep-11 22:18:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NormaStanleyFletcher Fri 02-Sep-11 22:20:25

Agree

Well, I hate some men, but not because I am a feminist. Because some individual men are hateful.

But no, I am not a man hater, I agree (and so would DH)wink

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Fri 02-Sep-11 22:33:25

Haha! Can we just have a thread where we bust every feminist myth please? Because the "feminists would have every man locked up/petrol bombed for rape" line is getting a bit fucking old...

And it's sending me bloody bald.

HereBeBolloX Fri 02-Sep-11 22:34:27

I think any privileged group which has its behaviour challenged by a group which it has wronged (and is still wrong-ing, if that's a word) will accuse that group of hate.

And where that group holds all the power and all debate is conducted on its territory, most people in all the groups, the privileged ones and the others, will have absorbed the assumptions and values of the group with power.

I once got accused of being a black power racist who hated white people, on another website.

I'm white. grin

UsingMainlySpoons Fri 02-Sep-11 22:48:21

LRDTheFeministDragon Fri 02-Sep-11 22:57:51

That's a great quotation.

Wamster Fri 02-Sep-11 23:00:10

Why do you assume that calling somebody a 'man-hater' is insulting them? I don't. There is nothing wrong with a bit of hate if it gets feminists what they want. Just because I may think a feminist is a 'man-hater' doesn't mean to say I think less of her for it. She may have good reasons for hating them, and if that hate drives her on to redress an injustice, good for her.

edd1337 Fri 02-Sep-11 23:03:19

good one dragon. I knew you'd blow my quote out of proportion. I suggest you read the thread properly

dittany Fri 02-Sep-11 23:04:45

LRDTheFeministDragon Fri 02-Sep-11 23:04:46

Eh? edd, I'm really sure you and UMS are not the same poster, are you?!

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Fri 02-Sep-11 23:04:53

Just reblogged that on twitter. Beautiful essay. smile

LRDTheFeministDragon Fri 02-Sep-11 23:05:44

Is anyone else really confused?

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Fri 02-Sep-11 23:06:06

Ha, you're welcome, edd. Now. Isn't it past your bed time?

HereBeBolloX Fri 02-Sep-11 23:07:42

Wamster, if you genuinely think that man hating is a positive thing, why are you so reluctant to name the posters you think are man haters and provide evidence that they are?

UsingMainlySpoons Fri 02-Sep-11 23:08:29

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Fri 02-Sep-11 23:08:56

Wamster, what good does hating 49% of the world's population do? Not every man can be defined by one man's actions. Nor can every woman be defined by one woman's actions. We all have (or had) at one point a mother and a father, whether we knew them or not. I only hate those I have reason to hate, and those who have hurt me or those I care about. Not every individual with a y chromosone. Some of my favourite people have a y chromosone

HereBeBolloX Fri 02-Sep-11 23:10:14

LOL Spoons.

That was my first thought.

But I looked more carefully and Edd's actually referring to LRD's quote about petrol bombing rapists or some such.

I'm sure it was a properly referenced observation at the time.

Oh, wait, I'm not that sure...

edam Fri 02-Sep-11 23:10:38

Oh, the man-hater thing is such a tired, pathetic little insult. Sign of an unoriginal mind. I suggest anyone who can't do better than that really isn't very able at all. Which is why they need the status quo, where they are part of the privileged group - because they'd struggle if they had to compete on their merits.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Fri 02-Sep-11 23:10:49

edd meant me, not LRD. Despite the instructions in my name, he still calls me dragon. hmm Someone should have paid more attention at school. I suppose I should narrow down to DCMF.

HereBeBolloX Fri 02-Sep-11 23:11:26

To be fair, I don't think I hate anyone I know frothy.

I do quite hate Jeremy Clarkson though. And Richard the Hamster Hammond, who isn't even a real hamster.

Does that qualify me as a man-hater.

LRDTheFeministDragon Fri 02-Sep-11 23:11:48

Ah. Ok.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon and I (*LRDtheFeministDragon*) are not the same person.

edd1337 Fri 02-Sep-11 23:11:59

dragon sweetheart. I'm in bed posting this on my phone. shouldn't you be in bed all tucked up?

UsingMainlySpoons Fri 02-Sep-11 23:12:17

HereBeBolloX Fri 02-Sep-11 23:13:34

Oh don't talk to him about his needlework Spoons.

You'll only encourage him.

This thread is not accepting new messages.