Talk

Advanced search

As If "Sex Sells" Wasn't Bad Enough...

(12 Posts)
DontCallMeFrothyDragon Thu 01-Sep-11 11:22:56

It seems one Canadian hair salon, Fluid Hair, thinks domestic violence is a good selling point, too.

The advert features a woman, sat on a couch, sporting a black eye, with a man behind her holding a diamond necklace (y'know, he's just beaten his partner, now comes bearing gifts... that old scenario) with the slogan "Look Good In All You Do!"

How the HELL could anyone have deemed this acceptable?

Here's the advert in question

sunshineandbooks Thu 01-Sep-11 11:26:03

shock

LeBOF Thu 01-Sep-11 11:27:11

How repulsive. In what way do they imagine that advert will encourage people to use their salon? Or is it just a case of publicity at any price?

NorksAreMessy Thu 01-Sep-11 11:27:47

that is the most astoundingly deliberately shocking image.
who on EARTH thought that would be a seller?

as an ad. for an abuse hotline or women's aid, yes, just possibly, but for a frickin' hairdresser?

in the comments it would appear that the advertisers are now being threatened with violence, because of this ad.

RedRubyBlue Thu 01-Sep-11 11:28:22

I am not on Facebook so I can't see the advert.

HeifferunderConstruction Thu 01-Sep-11 11:31:33

Thats bad

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Thu 01-Sep-11 11:31:46

Red Ruby, the image isn't as big, here, but the media are already criticising it

Not much shocks me these days, but this has left me lost for words. Completely lost.

solidgoldbrass Thu 01-Sep-11 13:14:29

It's not the first time an ad agency team has come up with something so wierd that you wonder if they are aliens. Remember all those bizarre Benetton ads (dying AIDS victim, blood-smeared newborn) which were supposed to make you want to buy a very unexciting pullover?

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Thu 01-Sep-11 13:15:26

Luckily, I don't think I ever saw those ads, SGB... Thank god.

ComradeJing Thu 01-Sep-11 13:22:37

I don't get it confused

What message were they supposed to be sending? Incredibly weird.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Thu 01-Sep-11 13:30:01

I have no idea. None at all.

HeifferunderConstruction Thu 01-Sep-11 14:08:49

I think this may come close to the MAC Cosmetics /Juarez ad campaign

just insane really

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now