Talk

Advanced search

I feel like I've just woken up...and I'm really hungry

(17 Posts)
WilsonFrickett Wed 31-Aug-11 19:33:50

I have been very active on a couple of Dorries threads today and feel like I've rediscovered a muscle I've forgotten I have. It's called feminism. I mean, I've always been a feminist, but I haven't been engaging with the world that way, I haven't been active and I haven't been fighting for my rights. That changes now.

But I feel like it's been years since I properly thought about any of that stuff so can I ask others to recommend some books, websites etc that I could have a look at? And if I start posting here will you be gentle with me grin

TIA

HereBeBolloX Wed 31-Aug-11 19:37:44

LOL Wilson

Teh Equality Illusion by Kat Banyard is good and pretty up to date
Backlash by Susan Faludi is depressing but good

HereBeBolloX Wed 31-Aug-11 19:38:00

Wifework by Susan Maushart

UsingMainlySpoons Wed 31-Aug-11 20:11:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WilsonFrickett Wed 31-Aug-11 20:14:12

<waves at Spoons who is more than partly responsible for appearance here>

Thx for recommendations, I've heard a lot of people talking about Wifework so will start there.

HereBeBolloX Wed 31-Aug-11 20:15:26

WF, it's the bookclub book this evening at 9PM!

SybilBeddows Wed 31-Aug-11 20:16:03

Read 'Delusions of Gender' by Cordelia Fine because it is funny and also empowers you to dismiss the recent crap that people are using to justify sexism.

agree with Equality Illusion as a basic summary of where we are at the moment.

WilsonFrickett Wed 31-Aug-11 20:19:07

Brilliant HereBe, so I can read it then come back to the thread? Cool

UsingMainlySpoons Wed 31-Aug-11 20:46:00

susiedaisy Wed 31-Aug-11 20:51:58

Another fan of Wifework here.

msrisotto Thu 01-Sep-11 08:29:16

I like Living Dolls. it is especially relevant now i think.

CRIKRI Thu 01-Sep-11 12:09:06

It's hard to believe the book is 24 years old now, but one of the best not-too-challenging, riotously funny but amazingly incisive books on feminism I've found is Sally Cline and Dale Spender's Reflecting Men at Twice Their Natural Size. The cartoons are amazing as well.

Despite being so old, sadly most of the issues within it are still relevant today.

Another big thumbs up for Cordelia Fine's "Delusions of Gender" and Natasha Walter's "Living Dolls." I agree that "Backlash" by Susan Faludi has also aged well, but probably needs an update to include the influence of internet, digital media, etc.

M. Gigi Durham's The Lolita Effect is also pretty good on sexualisation of young girls. And for anyone who has daughters or other special young women in their lives, pre-teen and upwards, Vanessa Rogers' Working With Young Women: Activities for Exploring Personal, Social and Emotional Issues, is excellent.

I'm a huge fan of John Stoltenberg, but he can be a bit "heavy going" at times.

I remember not being terribly fond of some of the "Third Wave" writing, like Katy Roiphe's "Morning After" and Natasha Walter's "The New Feminism," because I thought they were a little too optimistic about the gains of feminism - a bit too, "we can rest on our laurels a now," in tone. Interestingly, Walter admits as much in "Living Dolls" about her earlier book.

dittany Thu 01-Sep-11 12:17:44

dittany Thu 01-Sep-11 12:22:45

dittany Thu 01-Sep-11 12:23:35

WilsonFrickett Thu 01-Sep-11 12:31:17

Laughter is good! It is a bit depressing to see that stuff I was aware of 20 years ago is still relevant though... <sigh>

Prolesworth Thu 01-Sep-11 14:19:29

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now