Talk

Advanced search

Miss Representation - anyone heard about this?

(5 Posts)
Quodlibet Tue 30-Aug-11 09:20:06

Just seen this link to the trailer for American documentary Miss Representation.

Looks like it's a pretty simple deconstruction of negative female stereotypes in the US media - some of the examples in the trailer are absolutely shocking, not that I'm surprised.

Opinions? Anyone know any more?

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 30-Aug-11 09:26:27

Trailer has died half way through - not heard about it before - looks interesting though

skrumle Tue 30-Aug-11 16:14:21

looks interesting - any idea if it's being broadcast over here?

SuchProspects Wed 31-Aug-11 07:09:48

According to the film's website there's a screening in Edinburgh, hosted by the FilmHouse at the end of October. They appear to be looking for people/orgs to screen - so if you belong to a community or Women's group you could see if you could host your own.

Looks very US centric, though given the amount of US media we see it's probably still quite relevant.

skrumle Wed 31-Aug-11 20:56:11

hmmm... wonder if i could persuade any of my friends to go through for that - will try and remember to check nearer the time for screening times. i do think for women living in developed countries the media portrayal of women is one of the biggest issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now