Talk

Advanced search

Doctor Who

(86 Posts)
DontCallMeFrothyDragon Mon 29-Aug-11 13:49:30

Just catching up on the new series, when I noticed The (gorgeous) Doctor had to ask Rory for permission to hug Amy.

A bit of a WTF moment.

Anyone know how this came about? Or thoughts on this?

UsingMainlySpoons Mon 29-Aug-11 13:54:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Mon 29-Aug-11 13:57:26

Wanky was the best I could think of to describe it...

I haven't seen any Torchwood yet. Still pretty new to the Doc, but will catch up soon...

UsingMainlySpoons Mon 29-Aug-11 14:10:11

LRDTheFeministDragon Mon 29-Aug-11 14:26:50

Oh ... that's odd, I thought this would be about something else. I don't mind the permission thing too much - I thought it was meant to be a pisstake of the whole idea.

What jumped out at me was when they were talking about River Song being a psychopath the Dr made a comment along the lines of 'and she is a woman'. I thought that was really out of character and shit. But then I thought this whole episode was pretty rubbish and I didn't like River Song in it at all. She was so much better in the other episodes, I was really disappointed.

DH heard that next year there isn't going to be full series of Dr Who, just some specials, and people are saying it might not get recommissioned after that. So maybe Moffat knows that and is frantically trying to finish off his pet storylines ... it felt like a huge, unnecessary information-dump, that episode.

leafgreen Mon 29-Aug-11 14:37:35

Lost my post, but it said what LRD did. Except that I do mind the permission thing. The Doctor has asked Rory before - when they met up in America? At the wedding? - can't remember when but it grated that time too.

I was also shock that when Amy asks the Doctor if he's found their baby yet, Rory wanders off to read the paper, seemingly more interested in photos of crop circles than the whereabouts of his own newborn.

I know they had a plot to develop, but could he not have just noticed the picture while the Doctor was waving the newpaper around while explaining?

UsingMainlySpoons Mon 29-Aug-11 14:39:21

BibiThree Mon 29-Aug-11 14:41:54

I think in previous episodes Rory was insecure/unhappy about Amy's relationship with theDr, so he's making sure Rory is aware of their relationship and including him in it by giving him the power to decline his request to hug her.

edam Mon 29-Aug-11 14:42:27

I loved the relationship between Donna Noble and the Tenth, they were obviously best mates and the script poked fun at the 'assistant being in love' thing.

edam Mon 29-Aug-11 14:43:16

And it's very, very clear that Amy wouldn't stand for any nonsense about actually needing permission. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

CRIKRI Mon 29-Aug-11 14:44:23

I'm finding it all a bit weird and disconnected so far, to be honest. It almost comes across like they are finishing the scripts on the way to the studio or something. The special effects are great. The characters are great. The sets are great, but some of the things the characters say and do, just don't really make sense. I watch, then I scratch my head trying to work out what it was all about.

I mean what's with Amy's best friend Melody turning up in the last episode? To my knowledge, she's never mentioned having this best life-long friend (which you'd think she would have done at some point,) nor even referring to having named her baby after her. I also felt a bit uneasy with casting a mixed heritage actor to play the rebellious young woman in a kind of "Scary Spice" sort of tradition - you know, the back-chatting, bad influence, bad Black girl.

UsingMainlySpoons Mon 29-Aug-11 14:44:26

CRIKRI Mon 29-Aug-11 14:45:41

Oh, and forgot to mention "sexually voracious" Black woman - she kept going on about how "hot" the Doctor was. Yada yada.

UsingMainlySpoons Mon 29-Aug-11 14:45:58

LRDTheFeministDragon Mon 29-Aug-11 14:54:23

CRI that is spot on. I found that uncomfortable too. And not great that she 'changes' to River Song and burbles on about how sexy she now is and how she has to go weigh herself ... WTF? She seemed like a totally different character.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Mon 29-Aug-11 14:57:13

Agree about Mels, the sexually vocarious black woman always in trouble with the law... hmm

I must get round to catching up on these, really.

If the Doctor asking permission for hugs is a nod to Rory being silly, I can take that. Guess it's my fault for missing so much grin

And UMS, hush... I do have a little bit of a crush on Matt Smith... blush Please don't hold that against me

UsingMainlySpoons Mon 29-Aug-11 15:00:12

cornsilksi Mon 29-Aug-11 15:02:45

I think that Mels is always in trouble with the law/authority in the same way as River Song is. Also River has always been very flirty/teasing with the doctor and other men e.g. the hallucinogenic lipstick. I thought that they were putting River's character in another actor's body which must be very difficult to pull off, which is perhaps why Mels came across as being sexually voracious.

LRDTheFeministDragon Mon 29-Aug-11 15:07:44

Hmm. I thought Alex whatesface was acting River Song as a totally different character, though. I didn't like it. She just came across as a bit of a wanker, tbh.

They didn't have to cast a mixed-race girl to be 'in trouble with the law', did they? I'm all for more non-white actors but not if you're just going to use them lazily.

cornsilksi Mon 29-Aug-11 15:11:30

but the character of both Mels/River has been conditioned to murder at that point in her timeline.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Mon 29-Aug-11 15:12:41

Alex Kingston was acting River in a completely different manner.

Also seems odd that the only non-white human character I remember seeing (this series) wasn't even in an entire episode before shifting into a white character.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Mon 29-Aug-11 15:14:02

Even so, she still acted completely out of character; That wasn't River conditioned to murder, that was someone completely different

cornsilksi Mon 29-Aug-11 15:18:35

yes she was acting out of character - although she reminded me of River in the episode when she was in the Louboutins.

LRDTheFeministDragon Mon 29-Aug-11 15:18:51

DontCall - yes, I think that was poor (non-white shifting to white ... and then finding herself very attractive).

I don't disagree it's plausible within the storyline that young River/Mel would be quite different from older River that we've already met ... but I found the way she was different very disappointing. She kicked ass when we first met her; she really didn't here. And I'm not sure (while I am moaning! grin) about her getting Nazi'd up a la Prince Harry.

PonceyMcPonce Mon 29-Aug-11 15:29:33

I was not keen at all at the newly changed river. Checking her weight, her ass and going shopping as top priority was naff. But presume she matures into cool river as she ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now