Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So just WHY does my camera have separate portrait settings for 'Man' and 'Lady'?

(42 Posts)
SybilBeddows Fri 19-Aug-11 12:47:27

It seems very peculiar to me. Any ideas?

BertieBotts Fri 19-Aug-11 12:48:33

Try taking a photo of the same person, using both, and compare them!

StealthPolarBear Fri 19-Aug-11 12:48:39

I don't understand!

LeBOF Fri 19-Aug-11 12:49:20

Manual and, er, something else?

StealthPolarBear Fri 19-Aug-11 12:49:25

Does one add on a false moustache and beard and the other add on ridiculously long eyelashes, beauty spot and pouty lipstick?

MmeLindor. Fri 19-Aug-11 12:50:19

Does it say Man and Lady or M and L?

What kind of camera is it?

SybilBeddows Fri 19-Aug-11 12:51:09

Neither do I Stealth, neither do I grin

It is a 2008 Hitachi digital camera which I got for dh and he never used it so I am taking it over.

There are lots of different modes like 'Pets' and 'Running water' with little explanations of what they are for. The explanations of the 2 portrait settings just say that they make the subject stand out against a blurred background, but no explanation of what is different about the 2 and why there isn't just a single 'portrait' setting.

SybilBeddows Fri 19-Aug-11 12:52:11

it appears to be about whether the subject is a man or a lady, not the photographer!

SybilBeddows Fri 19-Aug-11 12:52:37

Mme it says 'Man' and 'Lady'.

MmeLindor. Fri 19-Aug-11 12:53:07

Maybe it has a special filter on the Lady one, to flatter norks.

StealthPolarBear Fri 19-Aug-11 12:53:10

might it be as simple as height? The average heights will be different, even though there will be overlap.

MmeLindor. Fri 19-Aug-11 12:53:52

SPB
That would not work with my DH - he is only 5'7 grin

SybilBeddows Fri 19-Aug-11 12:54:38

if it is height, though, why not just have 'tall' and 'short' settings?

But surely on a portrait height wouldn't matter?

This camera sounds like it's been designed for people who want to impress others with how amazing their camera is with it's superfluous settings.

SybilBeddows Fri 19-Aug-11 12:58:16

LOL Queen, quite possibly!
It does have a shaky hand setting that I like though. (I mean it minimises the effect of shaky hands, not that it makes it look like you've got them.)

Continuum Fri 19-Aug-11 13:06:05

Probably make the woman look all softer with fuzzier skin and warmer colours or something and the man all sharp edges and colder.

Continuum Fri 19-Aug-11 13:06:50

But yes, take photos and compare, or tell us what camera you've got and we can look online about what it says about the settings.

Continuum Fri 19-Aug-11 13:07:34

Object to "lady" on principle btw!!

Last post in a row!!

SybilBeddows Fri 19-Aug-11 13:08:08

ah yes, more blurry for women to make our skin look prettier and sharper for men to show up their muscle definition perhaps?

I will definitely be taking photos of everyone with both. At the moment I only have children in the house and it may not work on them.

SybilBeddows Fri 19-Aug-11 13:10:54

Hitatchi HDC-886E

The manual just says 'Portrait Man: Select this mode when you want to capture an image that makes a man stand out against a blurred background.
Portrait Lady: Select this mode when you want to capture an image that makes a lady stand out against a blurred background.'

SybilBeddows Fri 19-Aug-11 13:11:19

sorry, Hitachi.

AliceWyrld Fri 19-Aug-11 13:50:52

Try taking a picture of a woman who isn't a lady and see what happens? Although it might break it.

CRIKRI Fri 19-Aug-11 13:55:59

How utterly bizarre.

(Starts looking at settings on all her cameras)

UsingMainlySpoons Fri 19-Aug-11 14:00:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alexpolismum Fri 19-Aug-11 14:08:09

[idly wonders how many cameras CRIKRI has got]

I don't think I would have noticed if it were on my camera. So far I've only used the zoom on the special features (not really interested in photography, just want nice pics of my children)

Perhaps it uses a different kind of lighting, to make a man or a lady show up differently?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now