Talk

Advanced search

The longterm rape survey thread

(8 Posts)
ChristinedePizan Wed 17-Aug-11 22:15:23

As the one in chat's only going to be here for a month, here's the OP (boringly) again:

Way back in May, on the back of Ken Clarke's disgraceful interview he gave to Victoria Derbyshire, I knocked up a quick survey in SurveyMonkey to do a bit of a straw poll to find out how many of us had been affected by the 'not very serious' rapes he'd mentioned. While I was at it, I chucked sexual assault into the mix. It was a really ill thought out survey and I'm no statistician so the data isn't as 'useful' as it might be. SurveyMonkey gives you free access to the data up until you have 500 responses. But the survey got over 800 - I was stunned.

Even more stunning were the stories. I was prepared for the stats which were shocking enough, but the last question was a seemingly innocuous 'Anything else you'd like to say?'.

That was where the stories came out and I'm afraid that's where I became completely paralysed. I have found it so, so upsetting to read the stories that I haven't been able to process the information. I keep steeling myself to look at it and then I get so far and I can't do any more.

So I would like to apologise to everyone who contributed who thought they were talking to a vacuum, you really weren't. And I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough to do this before. But I defy anyone not to break down when you read the 13 pages of accounts of abuse, assault and rape. It's absolutely horrifying. I have edited nothing but spelling - all responses are as written. I haven't edited, I haven't ordered.

Main survey results

Narrative responses

Apologies again for the tardiness of this and thank you so much to everyone who replied - I'm not sure what we should do with this wealth of information but I would really welcome your thoughts - there is a serious gap somewhere in education/dialogue/awareness.

I will also post this in Feminism as there is no 30 day cull there but as chat is where I posted the survey, I thought this is where I should post the responses.

Hassled Wed 17-Aug-11 22:35:15

I don't know what to begin to say. I want to say that I've been very lucky, but that's not right, is it? It shouldn't be about luck, FFS.

All I can do is talk to my sons, educate my sons, make sure my sons never, ever think that rape or assault is "not very serious".

Thank you for doing this - it must have been so hard.

ChristinedePizan Wed 17-Aug-11 22:38:59

Oh no, Hassled, I think it is about luck to some extent. Lucky not to have been in a situation, lucky not to have met a rapist, lucky that no man chose you as his victim.

I also have a DS and I really hope I am able to impress upon him that no means no. Always.

AnyFucker Wed 17-Aug-11 22:48:33

The narratives are appalling.

I found my "own" and had a little cry. Then cried some more for all the others sad

Hassled Wed 17-Aug-11 22:51:20

No, I'm not happy with it being about luck. Luck somehow trivialises it - like that's just the way the cookie crumbles. You get raped, or you don't - like you get caught in a rain shower, or you don't. It's not enough. I'm not expressing myself well, I know - but making it about luck seems be like saying "shit happens". It's not enough.

ComradeJing Thu 18-Aug-11 02:47:06

I saw mine in there. I'm the "brief inappropriate touching" and feel quite cross for minimalising something that really upset me.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 18-Aug-11 03:00:04

So. 13% of respondents reported an assault/rape, but only 500/600 respondents to that question said they were the victim of an assault so that's not actually 13% of victims. It's 13% of 5/6ths. My head hurts but I think that's about 16% of victims reported?

And then 10% of those got a conviction.

Assuming that everyone who responded was telling the truth, and it's an anonymous survery so I can't see any possible motivation for not doing, that means that 1.6% of assaults/rapes end in conviction. Does that accord with the usual statistics?

ChristinedePizan Thu 18-Aug-11 08:45:31

Sorry Hassled - completely got the wrong end of the stick (had drunk wine) and misunderstood what you meant. Agree entirely

ComradeJing sad You weren't the only person to really downplay their experience.

Tortoise - I don't think you can draw that conclusion because not that many people answered the conviction question. So there were 570 people who said they'd reported a sexual assault but only 220 people answered the question about the conviction.

I think you have to take each question response on its own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now