Talk

Advanced search

femenist pagan movements

(3 Posts)
nailak Mon 15-Aug-11 22:14:21

hi, this is a subject i havent seen on here before, i was just wondering how many of youu would identify as pagan, wicca, witches etc, and if you find any validity in the claim tthese groups such as the diana cult are expressions of femenism as they revere "mother" earth, female deities, and they protest against the patriachial killings of witches in the medieval times, and draw comparisons to the patriachy and view of women in modrn times.

MrsReasonable Mon 15-Aug-11 23:19:09

Feminist or not, I find the idea of adults describing each other as witches and blethering on about magic and Mother Earth and whatnot absolutely ridiculous.

MillyR Mon 15-Aug-11 23:27:24

I think they can certainly be considered feminist movements in many ways, but I am not keen on religion personally. I understand that some people are not comfortable with developing a spirituality that does not require a belief in God or the supernatural. For women who want religious belief, but feel marginalised by mainstream religion, I can see it is valuable to them to participate in new religions and try and find resonances with ideas about the past to give them depth.

The murder of women for the alleged crime of witchcraft is another issue. I think it is really important that all people are aware of these events, and that awareness should not depend on religious belief. But it may well be the case that had pagans not drawn more attention to the issues, there might not be as much public attention, commemoration of sites and so on. But I'm not familiar enough with how we have got to this current level of awareness about the witch trials to know how much of that is down to the efforts of pagans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now