Talk

Advanced search

Feminist playwrights of today? Are there any REALLY great ones?

(10 Posts)
MumblingRagDoll Mon 15-Aug-11 20:36:35

I keep thinking of April De Angelis and that's all I can think of....I know there are more...has to be.

Can anyone reccomend any recent plays or productions that have made a splash please?

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 15-Aug-11 20:41:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

K999 Mon 15-Aug-11 20:47:22

catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/cam032/99036626.pdf

VictorGollancz Mon 15-Aug-11 20:55:55

Sarah Kane is sadly no longer with us, but her work is very good and tremendously powerful.

MumblingRagDoll Mon 15-Aug-11 20:57:12

Ooh thanks for that K99 that looks very informative. I only skimmed it but I see it only goes up to the 1990s....is there anything current? Have there been any really noticable plays in the last 2 years?

By noticable I mean....things that garner press interest or create a bit of a buzz?

MumblingRagDoll Mon 15-Aug-11 20:58:03

yes...am familiar with Sarah Kane Victor....I was hoping to read something very now though...

VictorGollancz Mon 15-Aug-11 21:05:54

Ah, in that case Mumbling, I am a sadsack who hasn't been out in ages. But I'll be keeping a keen eye on the thread for any suggestions!

MumblingRagDoll Mon 15-Aug-11 21:08:52

Me too Victor! I never go to the theatre now I'm not in London! I don't know bloody thing....grin

VictorGollancz Mon 15-Aug-11 21:16:43

Mind you, I do keep an eye out (pretending that I am ver' ver' cultured without actually hefting my arse anywhere) and the last woman-authored thing that would have made me shift my arse to London was The Children's Hour - performed earlier this year but written by Lillian Hellman in 1934! Of course the prospect of Keira Knightley in a lesbian play meant that it sold out in nanoseconds. With the exception of The Woman in Black certainly everything 'big' staged near me (well outside the capital) has a male author attached to it.

MumblingRagDoll Mon 15-Aug-11 21:21:52

Yes...I suppose it's not very often that a female writer breaks through....not into the West End or Broadway anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now