Talk

Advanced search

Where has the ladies football gone? ( Tentative first thread starter)

(10 Posts)
organicgardener Mon 15-Aug-11 14:04:06

During the Women's World Cup there was plenty of coverage of the England teams progress even though disappointingly the other group matches weren't shown.

Now that the WC is over it's dropped from sight again even though a new Ladies league has just started.

Lack of Mens football on terrestrial TV should have given Ladies football a chance to flourish in that absence and whoever is responsible for marketing is missing an opportunity in promoting this on a free to view basis.

jennyvstheworld Mon 15-Aug-11 15:07:03

I really thought England Ladies were going to reach the final; couldn't believe it when we bottled the penalties! Did you read about Hope Powell struggling to find volunteers?

organicgardener Mon 15-Aug-11 15:31:24

I read something along those lines Jenny, didn't she refer to them as cowards too?

I enjoyed watching the tournament but the manager left a sour taste in my mouth after Englands defeat.

jennyvstheworld Mon 15-Aug-11 15:45:06

Yes, I think she went a bit far. Whilst it must have been frustrating to be at penalty stages and have the players are looking at the floor and shuffling their feet... I think she was wrong to even ask them! Penalties should have been rehearsed in training and she should have simply appointed those she felt were best placed for the task. Poor leadership in my view...

I thnk it's a shame so many women are anti-football; the league should easily be available on iplayer of something.

organicgardener Mon 15-Aug-11 16:07:27

Bang it on ITV and give it some coverage I say.

Taking penalties shouldn't need practice though surely?

I got the impression that Powell didn't have the respect of her players during the tournament.

But at least they didn't represent her in the press as a Turnip as they did with Graham Taylor who managed the English Mens side.

jennyvstheworld Mon 15-Aug-11 16:58:34

Everything needs practice! smile Can't remember who, but someone once said "the more I practice, the luckier I get!" - Jack Nicklaus?

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 15-Aug-11 18:25:35

I wanted to do a women's Fantasy Football team, from the premierships clubs' womens teams. No such game exists, apparently sad

jennyvstheworld Mon 15-Aug-11 19:57:22

Could you start one? How about a Mumsnet Fantasy Football League? Any web designers out there?

Anniegetyourgun Wed 17-Aug-11 09:59:29

My sister dumped her boyfriend the other week over the issue of women's football (or, more accurately, the underlying attitude exemplified by his attitude to women's football). She mentioned she was watching it and he said oh no, football is a man's game, women playing it is just wrong. After a fairly heated discussion in which he made the even bigger mistake of disrespecting women's cricket (!!!) she told him to consider the error of his ways if he wanted to remain in a relationship. He then compounded it by texting to say he was sorry he had said that about football because his male mate had now told him that the women's team was doing really well. And why, she enquired dangerously, didn't you listen when I told you the exact same thing? Oh, er... dump

I generally encouraged her to see his point of view, but on this occasion I told her she had my full permission not only to ditch him but to kill him. In fact, I said, bring him round here and I'll do it myself. But she's quite fond of the old dinosaur so she left his limbs intact. I dare say if women's sport had been the only disagreement between them he would have grovelled his way back in eventually. It was more of a last straw thing.

BonnieLassie Wed 17-Aug-11 15:31:38

I don't think I have ever seen women's league football on TV. Only the FA Cup final and national games.

Maybe the men's clubs should all have women's teams and the rights for the whole thing should all be packaged together?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now