Talk

Advanced search

Why? He could have said something nice, or nothing at all.

(13 Posts)
wicketkeeper Mon 08-Aug-11 15:59:21

Out shopping with DGD aged not-quite-three. She's 'helping' with the trolley. We're at the check-out, and she tugs a bit hard, moving the trolley a bit (not a lot, and it didn't hit the man in question, although I nearly did...). The man in front of us turns round, looks at her (doing her best to 'help') and says 'Huh, women drivers.' And expects me to laugh along with him!!! Why would he need to say that??

DontCallMePeanut Mon 08-Aug-11 16:05:26

Should have pointed out that women are safer drivers. wink

Anniegetyourgun Mon 08-Aug-11 19:33:17

Mm, could have been an ironic postmodernist comment on the stereotype. Maybe.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 08-Aug-11 20:13:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HerBeX Mon 08-Aug-11 20:16:34

LOL I guess the answer would be "yes, look how good she is at manoevring, she didn't crash into you once - what a pity she's not going to be able to benefit from a lower insurance premium - equal rights eh, aren't they annoying sometimes"

Anniegetyourgun Mon 08-Aug-11 20:24:52

Or "yes, if she'd been a boy you'd have been rubbing a bashed ankle by now".

BestNameEver Mon 08-Aug-11 21:07:25

wicketkeeper Mon 08-Aug-11 21:35:09

It just made me so sad - she's such a bright little thing (yes yes, I know I'm biased, but that's not the point right now), has the potential to excel at anything she turns her hand to, the world is all before her. And I know that probably she didn't either hear/understand the comment - but one day she'll hear something like this, and she'll understand it, and it might just chip a little bit of her confidence away. And that's just such a bloody shame.

And yes, I've spent far too much time thinking of what I might have said back to him.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 08-Aug-11 22:13:30

TryLikingClarity Mon 08-Aug-11 22:45:10

I was once asked by a man if I "had a licence for that thing" when I was out pushing my newborn DS in his huge-travel-system pram.

I was like, sorry, WTF?

I was on the same footpath as him, nearly crossing paths, but actually not in his way.

As if because I was a woman I'd need a licence to push a fecking pram!

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 12-Aug-11 13:36:23

Ah wicktkeeper that is rubbish. Poor DD. I don't understand this stereotype at all.

swallowedAfly Sun 14-Aug-11 21:11:10

Message withdrawn

thebody Sun 14-Aug-11 21:51:49

silly old sod.. my df always makes the comment about me working full time..'some men cant wait to get their wives back to work for pin money!!' never says this in dh hearing, just for me...

fucking pin money, I pay the mortgage.... he is 77 so maybe thats the issue here, sexist old men... hate it though as makes me sooo mad..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now