Talk

Advanced search

This must be a joke?

(7 Posts)
SauvignonBlanche Wed 20-Jul-11 19:03:27

DH and I are getting 2 quotes for a new patio door. DH has made the phone calls eventually as he works from home.
One company visited and sent a quote in the post (eye watering but that's another matter).
DH told me that the second company, Everest, would be calling round with their quote last night. DH was out at the time taking DS to a karate lesson.

The salesperson arrived and asked if my husband was in, I explained that he wasn't but that I was expecting him to call with a quote. He looked crestfallem and said that it didn't work like that as he had to show me the door. I said OK but he replied that he had to show us together!
I explained that due to after-school activities and my shift work he would be unlikely to catch us both in before 9pm and I wouldn't be prepared to see salespeople at that hour.
He then said he'd come back tomorrow to see my DH! angry
I told DH I wouldn't have their door if he gave it too me and he said he'd cancel.
I got the satisfaction this evening as Everest have just called to see if I have received their quote.
I explained that whilst someone had called I had not been allowed to receive the quote as my husband was not present to see a door, I asked if this door did tricks?

The flustered chap on the phone said they did not like to sell to couples like this in case the husband did not like the door!
I explained that Everest's attitude was misogynistic and patronising and we would not be doing business with them.
God - that felt good! grin

TheCrackFox Wed 20-Jul-11 19:23:39

It is very sexist but there is a reason for it:

They will want to do a very high pressured sales approach (working from a carefully crafted script) which will take hours - if you are not both there then they know that they will not get a sale, they know they can get you both to sign on the dotted line there and then. Any business using this method (there are loads) will have ridiculously expensive products so my advise would be to avoid this company like the plague.

Highly annoying and patronising but you have had a lucky escape.

SauvignonBlanche Wed 20-Jul-11 19:43:41

Whilst I had told DH it was clearly goig to be a pressure sale job and made him promise not to sign anything no matter what 'discounts' were offered, it was the concept that a woman couldn't make a decision without her husband that really got to me, I thought I was in a 50's time warp and really enjoyed telling them!

wearymum200 Wed 20-Jul-11 19:47:31

We had a bad experience with everest sales too. High pessure ,lots of guff about finding out about us so we could advertise to our friends and coleagues etc. Shown the door very quickly by us. Bargepole. Try a local company if poss.

TheCrackFox Wed 20-Jul-11 19:53:16

TBH I don't think they would have made a sales pitch just to your DH either, (why I am sticking up for this bunch of prats is anyones guess) however, their explanation was sexist.

One of my friends was given a quote from Everest to do her windows and French doors and they quoted something in the region of £25k shock, she got a local company to do the same job for £5k.

unfitmother Wed 20-Jul-11 20:10:09

I'd have been annoyed too!

HerBeX Wed 20-Jul-11 20:32:54

LOL I once had a quote from Everest and after 3 hours of a sales pitch, he then took me and XP in his car around to look at other windows. He would park the car, point and detail the features he had mentioned in his 3 hour sales pitch.

I wasn't so assertive in those days.

grin

I bet it felt good telling them to fuck off SB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now