loader

Talk

Advanced search

streets named after women

(19 Posts)
rainbowtoenails Sun 17-Jul-11 23:39:16

How many can you name?
Im struggling.
It is shocking how many there are named after men b7t so few of women.

South Charlotte Street
Victoria Road
Alexandra Parade

PirateDinosaur Sun 17-Jul-11 23:44:07

First names? I live on one, but don't want to name it here. But surely more streets are named after last names and you have to dig into why to find out whether they were named after men or women (although I confidently expect that the vast majority were named after men).

Surely it's only a symptom of how constrained women were in the choices available to them (e.g. likelihood of attaining public office), rather than something intrinsically shocking in itself, though?

MrsGerardButler Mon 18-Jul-11 00:22:29

There's a Mary Fisher Crescent in Dumbarton. Not sure who she was though.
I also know Charlotte Street, Alexandra Parade, Queen Margaret Drive and Victoria Road in Glasgow. Also on the south side of Glasgow you'll find Leslie Street, Elizabeth Street and Allison Street. Would Anniesland Road count? What about Maryhill Road?

wicketkeeper Mon 18-Jul-11 11:26:17

Morpeth, Northumberland should get the prize - Emily Davison Avenue. I don't need to tell you (do I?) that she was the suffragette who threw herself under the King's horse. She's buried in the town. Go Morpeth!!

Malificence Mon 18-Jul-11 15:10:06

Erm, Lara Croft way , in Derby. (I'm being slightly ironic, just so you know).

Malificence Mon 18-Jul-11 15:13:07

A woman called Fanny Deakin is a personal heroine of mine, she is fairly famous in my area, she has several streets and buildings named after her. smile

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_Deakin

BitOfFun Mon 18-Jul-11 15:16:04

My PILs live on Marie Curie something or other.

iskra Mon 18-Jul-11 15:24:00

My great gran has a street named after her, but it is the surname only so you wouldn't realise it was a woman I suppose.

I've lived on Josephine & Victoria streets. There's an Olive Sharp way in Brixton.

Lio Mon 18-Jul-11 15:39:30

Stevenage has a group of them, like Austen Paths, Fry Road and Pankhurst Crescent.

PGTip Mon 18-Jul-11 15:44:31

Do you know all the street names in UK, unless you do how can this be a feminist issue.

I look at this board occasionally in the hope to read something inspiring. Unfortunately it is usually full of random comments/questions like these that just seem to want to put down the 'patriarchy'. If a male forum did this it was be decried as misogynistic, but for some reason it us deemed to be a acceptable for woman to do!

This isn't about feminism it's man bashing.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 18-Jul-11 15:55:50

I can name a few in my small town, and roughly the same number named after men. Plus loads that I can't be sure of either way, just surnames that I can't relate to any historical figure that I know of.

I don't think town planners would be bothered either way if naming a street after a person.

hmm

Are we looking at the same thread?? The only person mentioning patriarchy is you PGTip and since when has being positive about women - i.e. highlighting streets which have been named after famous women - been "man-bashing"??? And why couldn't a male forum highlight streets named after men? Why would it be misogynistic?

Very confused.

<thinks something else is going on here>

BitOfFun Mon 18-Jul-11 16:00:10

Oh dear. Quiet on misandry.com today?

skrumle Mon 18-Jul-11 16:02:53

mrsGB are you from d'ton???

my mum taught GB at school for a couple of years - feel like we know each other! wink

I think PirateDinosaur has it right though - it is a symptom of the lack of higher profile women in an area rather than a deliberate ploy. For example my street is named after the builder.

Hopefully with more women attaining notoriety we will get more streets called Thatcher and Brooks wink.

PGTip Mon 18-Jul-11 16:13:18

HDS - no nothing going on, this board just doesn't make me think of feminism positively. I am female (in case you were wondering) and I was expecting to be inspired by the thoughts on this forum. However if the biggest concern on here is how many streets were named after woman then I was mistaken.

I believe woman have as equal a place in society as men, but this board does not make me feel that others think this, they seem to think woman should have greater priority.

It's a shame but I won't be here again.

Malificence Mon 18-Jul-11 16:19:29

Erm, ok then PG, confused I'm hardly a radfem,( in fact I was once asked if I was a surrendered wife, yes really!) but how is asking about street names suggesting that women should have priority over men?
There are differing opinions on here, as on every board.

TeiTetua Mon 18-Jul-11 16:28:17

Queen Victoria St is a main road in the City of London, but I'm not sure it should count.

There are a number of streets named after Edith Cavell.

KRIKRI Mon 18-Jul-11 23:35:37

There is Mary Seacole Close in Hackney, Florence Nightingale Court in Hull, Barbara Castle Close in Hammersmith, Amy Johnson Avenue in Bridlington, Elizabeth Fry Road in Norwich, Marie Stopes Court in Islington, Elizabeth Barrett Walk in Great Aycliffe, Boudicca Walk in Wivenhoe, George Eliot Road in Coventry, Dorothy Hodgkin Road in Oxford and Charlotte Bronte Drive in Droitwich.

That seems like alot, but I only found those by typing famous women's names into Google Maps. Most are fairly small roads or residential closes and the only one I've actually seen myself is Mary Seacole Close. I think it's fair to say that there are many, many more roads named after famous men, just like there are many, many more statues and monuments to men than to women. There are loads of reasons why women just weren't written into history, which is part of why they don't have that many things named after them.

Really interesting to see some of the roads that DO exist though. There's a project in there for someone with a camera who likes to travel! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now