Talk

Advanced search

Bathing Suits

(63 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Fri 15-Jul-11 17:15:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sandalwood Fri 15-Jul-11 17:20:34

Look for ones, I think they're called, 'boyleg'
Most seem to have removable pads - so can be removed.

allosaurusrex Fri 15-Jul-11 17:21:22

I feel your pain SGM. I would go swimming so much more if A. There were more suitable swimming costumes for women and B. I wasn't so paranoid about hair (bikini line especially). I know I shouldn't care, but I do.
I've actually thought about buying a tankini top and a pair of men's trunks for the bottom half so I don't have to worry about my bloody pubic hair! Not done it yet though.

allosaurusrex Fri 15-Jul-11 17:22:03

Wow, thanks sandalwood. Never knew that existed! :D

Laugs Fri 15-Jul-11 17:22:29

Where have you looked? You can definitely get 'normal' swimsuits that you'd wear for actually swimming, and that aren't underwired etc. in sports shops.

And I'm sure I've seen loads in M&S.

(But you posted this in Feminism - is this not the kind of answer you wanted?)

PeopleCallMeTricky Fri 15-Jul-11 17:24:31

this is a good shop and has many different types of suit. I have ordered a couple of things from them and the delivery was very quick too

AliceTwirled Fri 15-Jul-11 17:25:32

Here! I had this problem a while ago. I now have a lovely swim suit that is, and I know this is crazy, good for swimming without you having to even think about the sexaaayness of your body. I can get in and out of the pool in whatever way I like, and I don't have to worry it has shifted. grin

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 15-Jul-11 17:26:45

SybilBeddows Fri 15-Jul-11 17:27:59

if you don't mind a bikini you can find a shop that sells mix n match, like BHS here

LaurieFairyCake Fri 15-Jul-11 17:28:30

Sports ones don't have padding or wiring. I have an adidas one for swimming.

It is, in no way sexy grin

Bue Fri 15-Jul-11 17:28:52

The majority of suits sold at sports shops would meet your requirements. I like Speedo a lot.

SybilBeddows Fri 15-Jul-11 17:29:18

sorry, just seen you definitely don't want a two-piece.

SybilBeddows Fri 15-Jul-11 17:29:53

some sports ones are still cut very high, you would need to try it.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 15-Jul-11 17:30:31

AliceTwirled Fri 15-Jul-11 17:33:35

I used to have a sports one and imo they are still cut high. You still have to adjust when getting out of the water to make sure you're all tucked in, and you still have to be careful how you sit, move your legs etc. I can never get why women have to swim in the equivalent of their knickers in terms of coverage. hmm

TeiTetua Fri 15-Jul-11 17:44:16

The tankini type has become very popular for good reasons--although it's two pieces, the bottom can be like shorts and hide the fur, the body is covered, the top can be as desired in terms of support and shaping.

People also say the Lands End range is very good. They have all sorts of styles.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 15-Jul-11 17:49:49

BeehiveBaby Fri 15-Jul-11 17:56:41

You've reminded me to ask where the MW teaching antenatal gets hers. It's more like something you'd exercise in, with little cycling shorts style legs and a racing back, so not too frumpy.

PeopleCallMeTricky Fri 15-Jul-11 18:00:08

I went swimming this morning in my legsuit. Nothing unwanted on show here, and no need to wax either smile

snicker Fri 15-Jul-11 18:13:42

I usually wear a legsuit. Speedo is my fave but I have decathlon ones which are ok and half the price. Sometimes I get tankini shorts and put them over the top of an ordinary swim suit.

Ephiny Fri 15-Jul-11 18:23:35

I have a basic Speedo one-piece, which is what I think of as 'normal' - no padding or wires or anything. Maybe you'd consider it high-cut though, I definitely find I have to remove a bit of hair around the edges in order for it not to show, though not anything like a Brazilian shock.

I'd prefer a shorts-style one too, but don't see many of those around. And I refuse to wear the ones with the little skirt attached, how can that ever be a sensible design for a swimsuit?

basingstoke Fri 15-Jul-11 18:28:05

I don't want underwiring for fake boobs. I want it for comfort. I have large breasts and find it much more comfortable for social swimming as you are describing as opposed to proper swimming, for which I have a one piece with a soft build in support.

Annunziata Fri 15-Jul-11 18:30:55

Are any of these any good?

http://www.swimshop.co.uk/Masters-CFITNESS/

Annunziata Fri 15-Jul-11 18:31:22

Oops, sorry, I did tick the link box!

aStarInStrangeways Fri 15-Jul-11 18:37:22

I have to say, I have never felt the slightest bit exposed or anxious when wearing a bog-standard one piece. My current non-maternity one is a black Speedo thing with a high neck and a zip up the back. It's great. I never feel like people are looking at me or that I'm in danger or being scrutinised, because all I see in the pool are other people in a similar state of exposure, concentrating on their lengths or playing with their kids.

Not sure what I'm trying to say here, just thought it was interesting that these considerations have never ever crossed my mind. No anxiety about hair (who is going to notice without getting up close?), nothing. Swimming is functional, for everyone, as far as I can see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now