Talk

Advanced search

Vintage ads to make your eyes pop

(24 Posts)
vogonmothership Thu 14-Jul-11 16:46:58

collection of vintage adverts

Thought y'all might like these. Shocking but has advertising really moved away from some of the stereotypes?

IroningBoardForSurfBoard Thu 14-Jul-11 16:50:22

i only got to the cigarette one and had to close that link down, even i stopped laughing by then shock

and i'm not so sure it has, it's just got more subtle angry

thinking the P&G 'mums' one for starters sad

Pinkjenny Thu 14-Jul-11 16:52:47

'Indoors women are useful - even pleasant!' I am quite sure dh would disagree.

AliceTwirled Thu 14-Jul-11 16:54:55

Yep I think it's just sexist now 'of its time' so in a way subtle. It's just subtle cos it's 'normal'.

PonceyMcPonce Thu 14-Jul-11 16:57:25

I agree. Same nonsense made contemporary.

Dainty vaginas is s o awful. But how different to you must remove that awful pubic hair?

allosaurusrex Thu 14-Jul-11 19:51:14

Dainty vaginas is s o awful. But how different to you must remove that awful pubic hair?

You've got a point there Poncey, especially when a lot of women (when asked why they remove their pubic hair) that it is cleaner, more hygienic etc. The only reason douching has probably gone out of fashion (apart from the obvious thrush hazard I would have thought) is that most people have the facilities to shower or bath daily in hot water now.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 14-Jul-11 19:59:29

I winced at the ehought of those douches. I bet that shit stung.

'most men have stopped beating their wives'
advertising soup.

I started laughing but i really isn't funny. Imagine being surrounded by that kind of blatant shit.

It is slightly more veiled today though isn't it, although just as pernicious.

Like the daily mail - if you're fat, you're fucked, and if you're thin, you're fucked.

DontCallMePeanut Thu 14-Jul-11 20:11:00

I think the TV ads are worth a look...

Oh, I do love Cracked.com... grin

VelveteenRabbit Thu 14-Jul-11 20:22:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

floyjoy Thu 14-Jul-11 20:46:53

I'd like to think the douche ad contains a veiled reference to oral sex - The fact it deodorizes your vagina...

Thanks for these!

LRDTheFeministNutcase Thu 14-Jul-11 21:40:27

I find it really disturbing that there are so many references to damaging tissue by douching ... that's horrible!

houseofheave Thu 14-Jul-11 21:51:11

Ads today are still full of sexim. Take the hideous colemans bake in a bag ad. Flustered mum. Man guiding her on how to use vile crap to feed her family - who look on as if she's a moron.

Makes me want to scream.

SinicalSal Thu 14-Jul-11 21:52:33

I did laugh at the 'Don't worry darling, you didn't burn the beer!' one.

i'm a bit ashamed.

floyjoy Thu 14-Jul-11 21:54:37

You've got to laugh as such degredation of women (the woman and the shoe???)- what else is there to do?

joaninha Thu 14-Jul-11 22:02:40

Really awful. The "you mean a woman can open it" reminds me of that recent ovencleaner "so easy a man can use it" - it pees me right off the way the advertising media likes to propagate a battle of the sexes and twist what they think is feminism just for their financial gain.
Today the ads are just as bad - it's like getting one tiny wrinkle and the world will explode FFS.

allegrageller Thu 14-Jul-11 22:03:13

What's notable is a lot more direct attacks on women's intelligence- which to be fair we don't really have to deal with now (men are just as often shown as stupid, in annoying stereotypical ways of course) and direct assertions that their genitals stink. A far greater emphasis on 'your husband [and master]' than there (thankfully) is now. A far more blatant attempt to shame women into purchases.

I agree that our advertising today demonstrates different sets of pressures. However, these ads almost make you grateful for the 'do it all' working woman stereotype. (I said almost...)

The ads for the douches are really upsetting- demonstrating a woman's body as so naturally disgusting that her husband could justifiably walk out in her in revulsion. All to be solved by spraying disinfectant into your vagina. Urgh. It make me understand a bit more the puritanical, uptight attitudes of my grandmothers and mum.

allegrageller Thu 14-Jul-11 22:04:44

that douching ad with the woman at the locked door pleading 'don't lock me out of our marriage' is truly horrible...so vile to play on women's loneliness, dependence, and sense of being 'dirty' like that....I'm trying to think of a modern equivalent but not there yet (I'm sure someone else can come up with one)

SinicalSal Thu 14-Jul-11 22:22:36

One of the comments below said that douches were used as contraceptives.
germ killing = sperm killing
fear and doubt was fear of pregnancy
Probably truth in that.
But yes, the terminology was horrible, and of course woman blaming.

allegrageller Thu 14-Jul-11 22:40:05

hmm sinical quite possibly

but the ads seem to be portraying a diffferent message i.e. be afraid of rejection by your husband.

SinicalSal Thu 14-Jul-11 22:42:08

I don't disagree at all, but you'd expect your husband to reject you surely if he thought you'd have the temerity to conceive. what's the poor man to do. hmm

allegrageller Thu 14-Jul-11 22:48:55

yes...one of the ads where the husband is posing at the door with an accusing look, might well be saying that...and the text saying 'is it your wife's fault she doesn't understand feminine hygiene? of course it is!!!'

indeed. Pregnancy was of course always women's fault. Gah.

TryLikingClarity Fri 15-Jul-11 10:31:37

shock

These ads show that women are cooks, cleaners, householders whose main ability is to look "dainty & feminine" whereas their husbands are lord and master of the house.

I was sitting with a wry smile until I saw the "most men have stopped beating their wives" line in an ad for Heinz soup! Messed up shite.

Times have changed in ads and women are a lot more empowered and out in the world. Yet, if you think about it, we're still being told to cook, clean etc and gender roles are still being upheld.

Makes me think of the Apprentice episode where they made the most ghastly sexist household cleaner ads. Does anyone remember that episode?

Pendeen Fri 15-Jul-11 11:56:17

Like most here I alternately laughed at some and became irritated by others, but what has filled me with horror is the "Mini Automatic" one.

That's what I see every time I remember my first driving lesson.
sad

vogonmothership Fri 15-Jul-11 12:19:24

good link Peanut
There's a yogurt one on the mo that makes me heave - we are so beautiful and attractive because we eat bloody yogurt. And leg waxing ones, don't get me strated....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now