Talk

Advanced search

If only some women would write poetry...

(6 Posts)
ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 14-Jul-11 14:51:42

oh wait, they do.

Not that you would guess from the shortlist for the Forward Poetry Prize.

Grrrrr angry

TryLikingClarity Thu 14-Jul-11 15:39:46

sad

I was thinking something similar yesterday. In our country (Northern Ireland) they recently published a tourist guide to blue plaques - you know the ones they put on building of interest if someone notable lived there?

Anyway, these guides were being given out free in our local city centre and my dad picked one up. Out of 117 entries all over NI from dates as far back as 1500 to present day only 15 are women sad

FWIW, I'm a poet and I'm pretty good grin

LRDTheFeministNutcase Thu 14-Jul-11 15:40:44

angry

This reminds me of a very ignorant and annoying teacher who told me if women wrote books she'd be happy to teach them, but 'by and large they don't'. hmm

Mind you, Andrew Motion is involved and he is a total prick, so I wouldn't be surprised.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 14-Jul-11 16:04:53

Several women on the panel though. It's so odd. Surely writing is one of the few things that women HAVE always done and everyone knows it. Women write poetry all the time, it's pretty mixed.

Where are they all then?

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 14-Jul-11 16:13:59

Anyone used Bostock and Chandler maths textbooks?

Hands up everyone who never thought that might be Linda Bostock and Sue Chandler? blush

BornSicky Thu 14-Jul-11 16:33:09

The Guardian is following this up: Where are the Women?

Interesting read, though not really offering anything new.

Guess I'll stick to my Mslexia subscription!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now