Talk

Advanced search

Q. What type of business has this slogan?

(24 Posts)
BrawToken Tue 12-Jul-11 16:32:52

'Invest in yourself for a guaranteed return'.

A. here

And what do you think its message to women is? I have to walk past it on my way to and from work and the more I see it, the more it pisses me off!

BrawToken Tue 12-Jul-11 16:34:02

It says to me - you are how you look, your success in life depends on it, your success in nabbing a rich man depends on it and it makes me grrrrrr!

SybilBeddows Tue 12-Jul-11 16:36:00

eeurgh.

that's the sort of thing that could do with a nice bit of stickering. What a pity I am such a long way away....

Hufflepuzzpig Tue 12-Jul-11 16:36:34

Vile.

How sad. I invest in myself for a guaranteed return by study and hard work, could I win?

BrawToken Tue 12-Jul-11 16:50:33

Exactly, would be a great slogan for a college or uni, but for a place that removes your pubes because some men like women to look prepubescent and performs other 'enhancements'. Horrible.

Stickering. Ooooh, never done that before. Any tips?

SybilBeddows Tue 12-Jul-11 17:00:00

I haven't either actually, I just fantasise about it.
I have seen downloadable stickers for printing on feminist websites.... can't remember where though....

sunshineandbooks Tue 12-Jul-11 17:05:02

Stickering is good. I recently defaced complained about a hugely sexist business sign that made a innuendo about women's breasts. It was changed a couple of weeks later. grin

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 12-Jul-11 17:07:01

Vile and tasteless. Please do sticker them! Or at least write them a stiff letter. I'm tempted to email them myself even though I'm hundreds of miles away.

BrawToken Tue 12-Jul-11 17:07:54

Did you do it at the dead of night?!

mo3d Tue 12-Jul-11 17:11:59

It seems quite apt that it has a still from the Grease film then. My 16 yo pointed out the other day what a bad example the film was to girls. I've never watched it so asked what she meant, and she told me that the girl changes her look and starts smoking just to fit in with the boy.

SybilBeddows Tue 12-Jul-11 17:13:24

yay for your dd Mo3d. I LOVE it when teenagers see through stuff.... gives me hope for the future smile

sunshineandbooks Tue 12-Jul-11 17:16:16

No, broad daylight - but the sign was not next to the business - it was a sandwich-board type advert on the side of the road a few hundred up the road from the business. I made sure I parked the car so you couldn't see my licence plate while I did it though. wink

mo3d Tue 12-Jul-11 17:16:21

Thanks, she is a bright girl smile

AliceTwirled Tue 12-Jul-11 17:57:12

Here are some

I am rubbish at stickering. I am always paranoid that I will be tracked by CCTV. They will watch me do it, then follow me down the road and work out where I live/work. Then I will get arrested. And then of course lose my job. I'll be stigmatised for life! blush

I was never any good at stealing penny sweets either.

SybilBeddows Tue 12-Jul-11 18:11:11

You stole penny sweets? shock

SardineQueen Tue 12-Jul-11 18:13:15

WTF is a playboy wax?

Will now read thread...

AliceTwirled Tue 12-Jul-11 18:41:27

No I never did! Not even one. I thought it would spell the end of my life before it had really started.

garlicnutter Tue 12-Jul-11 18:46:08

Is the poster sited near the financial district?

Assuming it's a really crap effort at appealing to target audience, I've decided to help them.

Hollywood Waxing - Strip your Assets for Maximum Exposure.
Minx Press-On Nails - Short-term Bonds for Variable Payoffs.
Thermal Touch Decollete Treatment - Reduce Slippage on your Front End.

Bored now, I had to stop for dinner - sorry if thread's moved on!

CrapolaDeVille Tue 12-Jul-11 18:46:57

Erm.........is this really feminist? It does seem to offer the same false promise to men and women.

DH works with young blokes who all remove ALL body hair. DH trimmed a bit too....boak... trouble is a stomach is not supposed to be more hairy than the bit above the penis. There's a reason that ridge is hidden, ffs we have three boys!!

BrawToken Tue 12-Jul-11 20:24:00

Maybe not Crapola, but it certainly is aimed more at women than men.

BrawToken Tue 12-Jul-11 20:25:14

Garlic Nutter - yes, I suppose so, Edinburgh is a bit dispersed and it is as close to the university and touristy areas too.

Brilliant slogans!

garlicnutter Tue 12-Jul-11 22:30:42

Cheers, BT wink

piprabbit Tue 12-Jul-11 22:41:22

I might be being very dozy - but what is the return and how on earth do they guarantee it?

Seems to me it manages to be meaningless and offensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now