Talk

Advanced search

To all those who say on threads 'I am too scared to go into feminism' - this topic isn't scary!

(1003 Posts)
GetOrfMoiLand Tue 12-Jul-11 15:14:45

I think it's a shame when I see threads where the OP says 'I am too scared to put this in feminism' or something.

I am certainly not knowledgeable about feminist theory, but have never felt that my opinion on this thread wasn't wanted or I was vilified for stating what I believed.

I think this topic is pretty inclusive - yes some people are forthright with their opinions, but nobody's word is god, and I would hate to think that mumsnetters were put off contributing to threads in this topic because they mistakenly think the posters on here are viragos. grin

Hullygully Tue 12-Jul-11 15:15:32

<quakes>

<trembles>

<laces stays more tightly>

Prolesworth Tue 12-Jul-11 15:16:46

Message withdrawn

BelleDameSansMerci Tue 12-Jul-11 15:17:44

Agreed. Really can't see why some people are worried about posting here.

I think it's a shame (for want of a better word) that some people feel more comfortable posting in AIBU than here. Shows what a good job the wider media have done in vilifying feminism, I think.

BelleDameSansMerci Tue 12-Jul-11 15:18:17

<unconvinced by Hully's stay tightening>

Pagwatch Tue 12-Jul-11 15:19:05

<<hides behind getorf>>

I went on a feminism thread yesterday.

<<shines " brave girl" badge>>

<<worries about having a badge with 'brave girl' on it>>

Hullygully Tue 12-Jul-11 15:27:58

I just wish they were a bit, ya know, funnier. I must confess I oft get bored after 20 or so earnest posts. <Bares chest for the shooting>

Hullygully Tue 12-Jul-11 15:28:43

Where's ol MarySue, she should be along any minute.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 12-Jul-11 15:30:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hullygully Tue 12-Jul-11 15:33:49

SGM - see? Humourless response already.

Every thread isn't about rape and dv, is it?

I knew I'd get jumped on, but often they are so worthy, just saying.

Hullygully Tue 12-Jul-11 15:34:34

Who is Frankie Boyle? Is she a famous feminist?

Gloria Steinem was funny. And ol Germaine often quite a wheeze.

IroningBoardForSurfBoard Tue 12-Jul-11 15:36:39

SGM

i'm a long time lurker on this section and agree somewhat with Hully, especially when you launch in with that...a bit of a low blow and harsh I think.

is that all you want the feminism section to be about?

Prolesworth Tue 12-Jul-11 15:37:11

Message withdrawn

Al0uiseG Tue 12-Jul-11 15:37:28

Its not for me, i like to be able to throw "cunt" into the odd sentence without getting the hole whole reduction of women to genitals spiel.

Hullygully Tue 12-Jul-11 15:38:18

Proles - is it DISGUSTING?

Ormirian Tue 12-Jul-11 15:40:14

I'm not scared of the feminist section!

Ha!

And I am officially a scaredy-cat.

Hullygully Tue 12-Jul-11 15:40:58

Proles - that's an interesting point though. I am thinking about it. I wouldn't say that feminists are humourless at all (see egs above), my friends (feminists to a wo/man) are amusing and witty and funny on the whole, but maybe that's because when we discuss things it's in the private sphere? I don't know.

It wasn't meant to be insulting (honest), simply that I'm not good at serious so on the whole I have to stay away or I get told off.

allosaurusrex Tue 12-Jul-11 15:41:51

"I think it's a shame when I see threads where the OP says 'I am too scared to put this in feminism' or something."

You're right, it is a shame. However, much as I agree with most of the opinions on here (as a fellow feminist) I don't post that much and pick my topics carefully because it can be, well, a bit exclusive.

Some posters are rather quick to announce that perhaps X poster should stay away from the feminist board, or that maybe they're not really a feminist -this has happened to me under a different name- which just makes open debate quite difficult. (Obviously debate isn't for all threads, I can see their point if it's more a of a support topic).

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 12-Jul-11 15:43:00

I am more scared of the breastfeeding topic, actually.

There are some funny threads in feminism, I am sure the 'was Ross on a break' thread from ages ago was in feminism. And it was great - Shoeofhands came along and ripped Ross apart from a feminist standpoint.

Threads on here don't necessarily have to be highbrow to be entertaining and informative.

Fuck me I sound as pompous as Lord Reith grin

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 12-Jul-11 15:44:52

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 12-Jul-11 15:45:19

Thing is though, if someone says to you on the femisint board (or any come to that) 'you don't belong here' I would say right back 'I belong here as much as anyone does' and argue back. And I think that anyone's opinion on this thread (sexist wankers not included obv) is as valid as anyone elses.

Mind you, I say that as a long time poster, is easy for me to say, I do remember being intimidated by lots of the moldies when I first came on mumsnet.

Al0uiseG Tue 12-Jul-11 15:45:41

Anyway Getorf, you could be considered a bit of a poster girl (sexist, i know) for the way you've succesfully conducted your life. When you've been a totally happy sahm for the last 15 years it feels like an alien place.

I'm just glad to have a "traditional" set up and the freedom of choice to be a wife/mother. I have the vote, I was never paid any less in my working life than any male in a similar position. I actually don't see what is left to bang a drum about in the UK in 21st century. Believe me the feminist section really doesn't want me.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 12-Jul-11 15:46:59

malinois Tue 12-Jul-11 15:47:15

hully wouldn't Gloria Steinem be considered a bit <whispers>liberal for these forums?

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 12-Jul-11 15:48:12

This thread is not accepting new messages.