Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Girl with a dragon tattoo new version poster

(18 Posts)
allosaurusrex Fri 08-Jul-11 11:56:23

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/07/article-2012256-0CE81A7700000578-638_468x705.jpg

Is it just me or have they utterly undermined one of the most important bits of this story ( to me) which is the way that Lisbeth's character uses her brains and not her body to overpower the horrendous men in her life?

If I knew nothing of the story it looks as though Daniel Craig's character is the saviour of a vulnerable (if alternatively styled) female. What is with that pose? I was looking forward to the new version just because dubbing annoys me but I don't know if I want to see it now.

allosaurusrex Fri 08-Jul-11 11:57:01

Ok, that didn't work will try linking again.

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/07/article-2012256-0CE81A7700000578-638_468x705.jpg

WowOoo Fri 08-Jul-11 11:59:35

Oh crikey, that poster really puts me off. It's unnecessary.
Luckily subtitles never annoy me.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 08-Jul-11 12:00:56

I agree, it is completely inappropriate for the Lisbeth character to be naked on the poster.

OpusProSerenus Fri 08-Jul-11 12:06:28

WTF? shock Media executives responsible for this need a good slap reality check. Having said this, maybe it says more about our society that this is the proven way to sell stuff sad

<Oh God I've depressed myself now>

allosaurusrex Fri 08-Jul-11 12:08:28

Just don't watch the trailer - it's just as bad (don't know why I looked it up TBH). Full of semi-naked images of Lisbeth cavorting with one or another character and shots of whatisface (Craig's character) looking serious and frowning intelligently. Grr.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 08-Jul-11 12:11:29

I saw a bloody poster for Hall Pass in Asda yesterday. I can't find a picture of it, but it had the dozy pair of actors, looking either side of a woman's bikini clad arse. I normally walk through life with blinkers on and don't notice things, but I thought that was completely vile. Typical though of a hollywood 'lads' movie.

Wankers.

It is a real distortion on the book (and trilogoy) which does raise a lot of feminist issues very well such as mental health, living on the fringes of "acceptable" society, women hatred, objectification of women, sex trafficking etc.

steamedtreaclesponge Fri 08-Jul-11 12:17:44

GRRRR that makes me so CROSS! Why on EARTH is she naked?

Sometimes Hollywood just needs a big slap.

Ok, make that ALL THE FUCKING TIME

sigh

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 08-Jul-11 12:21:28

I think the fact that this film has a feminist female hero reputation, it will use that angle to show a titilating film with extreme sexual violence.

I felt rather uncomfortable about the swedish version, however it was faithful to the book adn I don't know how you could film it without the grossly disturbing initial sexual scene.

However I really think that the hollywood version will go all out to shock.

I hope I am wrong.

SinicalSal Fri 08-Jul-11 12:27:23

She may be a feminist, but she's the sexy naked type who 'actually likes men'.
Phew.

AwesomePan Fri 08-Jul-11 12:38:24

oh fuckety. All of this sort of thing was feared when there was talk of US/UK versions. yes Salander was the total opposite on every level to what is being portrayed.

sex scene - GOML I thought the filming of it was very restrained to what was in the book.

But the one time they had sex was done very lightly - where she climbs on him, orgasms, climbs off and he is left lying back thinking 'WTF?'

I will go to see the new version, and prob. watch through fingers.

off topic, doesn't Noomi Rapace just take your breath away?

AwesomePan Fri 08-Jul-11 13:05:28

allo - just watched the trailer - no images of cavorting there? it was 90 secs of flashes no longer than 1/3 sec. each. Absurd.

and what's this 'evil' malarky??

TotalChaos Fri 08-Jul-11 19:09:27

yuck. agree with Pan about WTF at the evil reference.

Himalaya Sat 09-Jul-11 01:09:10

I haven't seen this but I always thought the book covers were a bit crap - like the designer hadn't even read the book and the physical description of Salander - but had put on the cover a more glamerous picture they thought would sell.

I wonder if it's because the author is not alive to approve the way they portray his vision, so it's gone down to lowest common denominator thought to appeal to a mass Market?

arazmataz Sat 09-Jul-11 01:12:14

It's just the Hollywoodisation of everything. Which is in fact turning good into evil. angry

TotalChaos Sat 09-Jul-11 08:42:44

doubt that a living author would make any difference to book cover choices, particularly given the number of translated editions to different countries.

arazmataz Sat 09-Jul-11 11:22:00

On the contrary, TC. I'm sure Larsson would've made a stand. Not every author just rolls over, some write for other reasons than money and sleb status.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now