Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DS's hair.......

(13 Posts)
WeDONTneedanotherhero Wed 29-Jun-11 09:44:16

My DS is 20 months and has a mop of strawberry blonde curly hair. He is regularly mistaken for a little girl by strangers and the people that are aware that he is a boy tell me to cut his hair because he looks like a girl hmm

I'm rather bemused by it, has anyone else had this with DS's with longer hair or DD's with shorter hair?

AmberRock Wed 29-Jun-11 09:51:03

Yes I used to have it all the time and tried to ignore but once my DS started school he seemed to become aware of comments and asked to have his hair cut - which I agreed to sad

tiredteddy Wed 29-Jun-11 09:57:09

I had this all the time with my eldest Ds who also had curly mop if strawberry blonde hair. Either people love it or hate but I loved it! Longer hair on boys is very cute and much more common these days. Ignore the comments he is your baby. My Ds has only just had his 1st short haircut at age 7 , there are still at least 6 in his class with longer styles.

WeDONTneedanotherhero Wed 29-Jun-11 10:02:05

I do find that little old ladies love it and come and stroke him grin. I have no intention of cutting it until he asks because I think he looks adorable.

That's so sad about your DS, AmberRock.

Lady1nTheRadiator Wed 29-Jun-11 10:02:35

Oh god yes. All the time with DS. I have put a pic up of him aged 2 ish, I had forgotten how long his hair was actually. He is now 3.8 and I still get people referring to him as a girl.

PrinceHumperdink Wed 29-Jun-11 10:05:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yes DS (until recently, sob) had lovely blond curly locks and he was mistaken a couple of times for a girl (despite the stereotypical boys clothing he was wearing). I thought he looked adorable too. Then nasty DH came along and chopped it all off grin. Tbf it was getting in his eyes a lot! And it made MIL happy. Although for DH that might have been one reason to keep it long - to mildly irritate MIL wink

My DS had gorgeous hair when he was a toddler.......white blonde and curly, was really lovely. However, once people started thinking he was a girl I realised it was time for the chop. He has short hair now and is still just as gorgeous!

My sister loves her DS' hair long but when her eldest started school he came home and said to her "take me to the doctors, I need a hair cut"!

wrongdecade Wed 29-Jun-11 11:30:50

yeah i have this probLem all the time he has blonde ringlets

DontCallMePeanut Wed 29-Jun-11 13:12:30

Ds's hair curls up slightly at the ends. He used to have ringlets, but I got bullied into having them cut off by my lovely family. My mother is now insisting that because his hair is thick and curly, and long (covers his ears) that he looks like a girl... hmm He's the most boyish looking little boy on the planet, and her comments seem to confuse not only me, but my closest friends, too!

WeDONTneedanotherhero Wed 29-Jun-11 13:22:56

My father (there is a world of issues with him but that is a whole other thread) threatened to get the clippers out and cut it all off. He got the death glare.

thumbwitch Wed 29-Jun-11 13:31:38

DS had straight, blond hair and very big blue eyes. Despite being dressed in boy clothes, mostly in blues and browns, he was often mistaken for a little girl until he was about 3; there's really no mistaking him for a girl now!

My sis's oldest girl OTOH had very blonde hair, blue eyes but her hair didn't grow for years. Despite being always in pink or some shade of purple/mauve, and in girl clothes, people would assume she was a boy. Even in a dress! It wasn't until her hair started to grow properly that people stopped doing it.

Neither of them had curls either, so I don't think it's necessarily the curls.

Do what YOU want to do (but please don't do what one mother at DS's Little Kickers group has done - her DS has a proper crop on the front part of his head, back to his ear line; then behind his earline his hair just grows straight down in waves to between his shoulderblades. It's not even a proper mullet - the back hair is long from the top of his head. It's very disturbing!)

queenbathsheba Wed 29-Jun-11 15:00:54

DS1 aged 10 was still being mistaken for a girl up until two years ago. He has wavy dark hair and green eyes. He likes his hair fairly long but even when it was cut short he still looked pretty. In fact at 10 he still does. I'm hoping for his sake the fashion for soft more effeminate looking men continues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now