Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

CEO Barbie

(21 Posts)
Mimile Sat 25-Jun-11 18:50:39

Is there already a discussion somewhere about this?
http://www.theonion.com/articles/ceo-barbie-criticized-for-promoting-unrealistic-ca,1787/

Not looking into the body-image issue side of things - I was generally shocked that this kind of thinking is still seen as valid, and that challenging the status quo is seen as unreasonable...

Mimile Sat 25-Jun-11 18:51:27

link here, hopefully working

buzzsore Sat 25-Jun-11 18:53:16

Um, it's the Onion.

MrsChemist Sat 25-Jun-11 18:54:13

The Onion is a satirical news website, I believe.

Mimile Sat 25-Jun-11 19:50:35

Not really aware of The Onion, its style or readership TBH.
I just went and checked on it - still unsure of the overall point of the publication or its satirical coverages.

Happy to be enlightened, though!

buzzsore Sat 25-Jun-11 19:52:47

Its point is humour. smile Not to be taken seriously.

AliceWhirled Sat 25-Jun-11 19:53:00

The Onion is satirical. There's not really much more to know.

Another relevant article

buzzsore Sat 25-Jun-11 19:54:04

That one makes me laugh. grin

tribpot Sat 25-Jun-11 19:54:59

Erm, it's a joke. Not dissimilar in intent to this one in The Daily Mash, actually!

I can see how you could make the mistake, given some of the shite churned out by our media, of thinking an article like that in The Onion could be serious, but have a look at some of the others - this one on Trump is amusing.

Mimile Sat 25-Jun-11 19:56:20

Thanks Alice.

However, satire or not, does it make the issue any less valid?

AliceWhirled Sat 25-Jun-11 19:57:42

Which issue? I don't know what you mean.

Mimile Sat 25-Jun-11 19:58:04

Thanks Tribpot - is their articles only intented as jokes?

tribpot Sat 25-Jun-11 19:59:45

No, it doesn't - that's the point of satire!

Mimile Sat 25-Jun-11 20:02:31

By issue, I mean, probably quite unclearly, the projection [or lack of] of women in empowered position via toys.
The point about appropriateness is interesting - would people indeed mind if a toy portrayed a woman in such a position, on the ground that the likelyhood of a little girl growing into that position is unlikely according to stats?

Now - please don't shout me, I am just thinking aloud...

tribpot Sat 25-Jun-11 20:03:16

Sorry Mimile, my last comment was in response to your comment to Alice.

The Onion's articles are intended to be both amusing and relevant, they're making a serious point in a humorous way. But rest assured the writers at The Onion don't really think "Any girl who thinks that she can run a large corporation when she grows up is in for a bitter disappointment".

Mimile Sat 25-Jun-11 20:03:39

I thought that satire was meant to induce reflection, though

Mimile Sat 25-Jun-11 20:04:51

Sorry Tribpot / got confused with cross-comments.

buzzsore Sat 25-Jun-11 20:05:50

Oh I see. I have to admit I thought you were someone posting up an article to get us to bite and then laugh at the "humourless" feminists. grin

Mimile Sat 25-Jun-11 20:09:21

no bother smile

LilBB Sat 25-Jun-11 21:26:03

Barbie has held ever increasingly important jobs. Shes been a vet, doctor, paratrooper and even president. She's also quite an independent woman as she raises her younger siblings without a man. I know she has Ken but he doesn't live with her and I think he was off the scene for quite some time. She owns a house, car, plane and yacht. As 'girl' toys go I think she probably one of the more positive ones. If only we could have one that looked a little more like a real person.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbie's_careers

sprogger Mon 27-Jun-11 21:07:41

I've been looking at the US Barbie website today, as my DD has suddenly expressed a wish for one. I decided to have a look and see if they raised my hackles too much for me to consider getting her one.

Sadly, the one I actually think is quite cool and actually has something to do with what I do for a living (insane body proportions aside & laptop colour aside) doesn't appear to be available in the UK:

Computer Engineer Barbie.

Also, I suspect the Onion article is actually based on this real one from the BBC:

Does Barbie's New Geeky Look Fit With Reality?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now