Talk

Advanced search

Julie Bindel's draft speech to mark World Femininity Day, 24 June 2011

(5 Posts)
Lio Fri 24-Jun-11 13:23:15

In the Guardian here

Extract: 'bearing in mind the WFD [World Femininity Day] commitment to eradicating such abuse [against women and children]... I will roll over and accept that rather than telling men off for abusing women, we would be far better off if we deferred to them and made the effort to look pretty, demure and soft. Perhaps then they will be nicer to us.'

Lio Fri 24-Jun-11 14:01:18

Spotted this from Suzanne Moore in the comments underneath:

'Good news! Julie is coming round to my house for a makeover, backcombing and a drag lesson. I prefer the organic Cruelty without Beauty range that can make every woman feel empowered through careful shading and highlighting. It really IS the way to bring down the patrIarchy.
At last Miss Julie is seeing sense and will look so much prettier into the bargain. Result'

Also Julie Bindel has said she will get back to one poster who said something along this lines of 'Just as many men used to be killed by women, and the only reason that number has reduced is because women now have support centres to turn to instead of killing men.' I paraphrase. Anyway, she has said she'll get the correct figures from the Home Office so I'll try to keep an eye out for that.

TimeWasting Fri 24-Jun-11 16:18:56

The comments are winding me up, so I didn't get past page one.

It's a bit subtle for some of them though. grin

Lio Fri 24-Jun-11 16:57:22

I know, loads of them were straight in there with 'At last, Julie Bindel sees sense' type of stuff. grin

sparky246 Fri 24-Jun-11 18:14:21

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now