Talk

Advanced search

Sri lanka killing fields

(9 Posts)
wrongdecade Tue 21-Jun-11 11:14:06

It contains some awful footage of war crimes towards women one of them is even identified as a dead TV presenter.
,among shelling hospitals deliberately, suicide bombers etc mass executions. Talks about hoew the international witnesses were forced to leave and how theknew they we being abandoned at a time of need I can't imagine the guilt. one of them is even identified as a dead TV presenter.

Did anyone else see this? I'm suprised this hasnt has a thread. was on last week.

sunshineandbooks Tue 21-Jun-11 11:25:05

It is awful. sad

Sri Lanka does not have a good record for human rights, with women quite often bearing the brunt. I've seen various articles about it in the mainstream press.

Wherever you look in the world it seems women are raped, abused and murdered simply because they can be. sad angry

WeDONTneedanotherhero Tue 21-Jun-11 12:29:56

I missed this, what channel was it on?

wrongdecade Tue 21-Jun-11 18:48:56

channel 4

TheBossofMe Wed 22-Jun-11 09:28:30

I didn't see the programme, but Sri Lanka has a long and bloody history of waging war on its own citizens, with, as always, the female population suffering beyond measure. My mother was one of a large mainly female family who suffered horrendously at the hands of soldiers in Sri Lanka in the past - more than 50 years later she still bears the physical and emotional scars.

There is some excellent info here:

Human Rights Watch

Amnesty

And an excellent report from the UN here:

www.un.org/News/dh/infocus/Sri_Lanka/POE_Report_Full.pdf

Make no mistake, what happened in Sri Lanka is definitely both a human rights issue and a feminist issue

AliceWhirled Wed 22-Jun-11 09:32:24

I didn't see it but there were a group of women at MWR speaking about the situation in Sri Lanka.

allegrageller Wed 22-Jun-11 09:33:01

it seems to me that all war is a feminist issue. Women's bodies are seen as the spoils of war or as representatives of the land or people to be conquered/extinguished.

TheBossofMe Wed 22-Jun-11 09:43:44

"All war is a feminist issue"

Absolutely correct.

The situation in Sri Lanka is still dire for many women, the young who are routinely subjected to rape and torture, the old who are treated as slaves and thrown on the junk heap. It makes me want to weep.

wrongdecade Wed 22-Jun-11 14:51:22

the bit that actually upset me the most is where after a suicide bomber a victiom of the explosion (a little girl toddler age) was wearing what looked like a princess dress was picked up and put into the back of a trick with the rest.

the facilities were so bad a 6 year old boy who had had his limbs damaged in an explosion had to be amputated with a kitchen knife, no anaesthetic becasue there was nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now