Advanced search

Woman comedians

(66 Posts)
PrinceHumperdink Mon 20-Jun-11 13:17:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrinceHumperdink Mon 20-Jun-11 13:18:58

iklboo Mon 20-Jun-11 13:19:39

I saw a TV pilot for a Sarah Millican show being recorded last month. She was HYSTERICALLY funny. I hope it gets picked up for a regular show. DH also loves her.

PrinceHumperdink Mon 20-Jun-11 13:20:44

flippinada Mon 20-Jun-11 13:21:55

That old crap about women aren't as funny as men? Saw the troll thread.

Its a stupid premise anyway, seeing as how humour is subjective.

StayFrosty Mon 20-Jun-11 13:22:06

I like josie long.

PrinceHumperdink Mon 20-Jun-11 13:23:31

flippinada Mon 20-Jun-11 13:24:08

Some funny women off the top of my head:

Dawn French
Jennifer Saunders
Victoria Wood
Sarah Millican
Tina Fey
Jenny Eclair
Linda Smith (late and much lamented)
Catherine Tate

PrinceHumperdink Mon 20-Jun-11 13:25:29

flippinada Mon 20-Jun-11 13:26:22

I would love to PrinceH! Count me in for Sarah Millican.

<goes off to think of some more funny women>

MrsKarbonara Mon 20-Jun-11 13:27:09

I still love Jo Brand. My favourite expression is from her - velvet tardis anyone? grin

Also saw new female comic on the mostly male mock the week the other day who was good, missed her name.

Dawn French is ace. Will come back with a list later.....

flippinada Mon 20-Jun-11 13:29:07

I really like Jo Brand but was very put off after reading one of her books which basically came across as an apologia for DV.

Had it not been a library book I would've binned the bloody thing!

PrinceHumperdink Mon 20-Jun-11 13:30:49

PrinceHumperdink Mon 20-Jun-11 13:32:27

melezka Mon 20-Jun-11 13:33:21

Sarah Millican, from what I could tell, was the only comedian (only act, actually) to be booked out almost as soon as it opened at our regional arts venue.

I'm not going to the Fringe - but enjoy!

I couldn't even begin a list of funny women because they are just everywhere. Even shows that are supposedly about men being funny just wouldn't be without the women in them. I'm thinking particularly about Extras (not to everyone's taste I know - but Ashley Jensen was brilliant in it; and Kate Winslet also an eye opener). Very often I think that kind of work is funnier than some bloke dancing around going "look at me, look at me, I'm funneeeee"...

flippinada Mon 20-Jun-11 13:37:47

More for the list - Sally Phillips, Doon McKichan (sp?)

PrinceH, would need to be a Friday or Saturday..anyone of those days she's on should be fine.

aliceliddell Mon 20-Jun-11 13:42:22

You must take extreme care! There were three women, including two lesbians, out of seven people on a radio panel comedy show and it made our router go off. The lap-top hasn't been he same since.(Laptop is not a euphemism). Face facts, women. It's not natural.

flippinada Mon 20-Jun-11 13:44:06

Yeah PrinceH that's the one.

Melezka - you're absolutely right. There's loads.

I find a lot of comedy offputting because its so laddish and misogynistic and just bloody hateful (Frankie Boyle for example).

Tell you what shattered my illusions...a friend of a friend was dating a certain comedian who was v popular in late 80s/90s. Me and my mate had a massive crush on him. Turns out he is a nasty piece of work where women are concerned.

flippinada Mon 20-Jun-11 13:45:56

Funny lesbians??!! <head explodes>

grin

Pinner35 Mon 20-Jun-11 13:47:51

I'm going to see Sarah Millican next year....can't wait. She's one of the few comedians who make me laugh out loud.

MrsKarbonara Mon 20-Jun-11 13:53:12

Oh yes to Tina Fey, brilliant woman

PrinceHumperdink Mon 20-Jun-11 14:00:02

blackcurrants Mon 20-Jun-11 14:01:25

After seeing "Bridesmaids" I've got to add Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph and Melissa McCarthy as women I will travel ANYWHERE to see live.
Absolutely hilarious women.

flippinada Mon 20-Jun-11 14:05:38

Another one I find very funny is Patricia Heaton though she's more a comic actress than stand up.

Same for the female lead in King of Queens (can't remember actresses name right now. Fab Noo Yawk accent.

flippinada Mon 20-Jun-11 14:06:18

Yay for Sarah Millican!

Must go do some stuff now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now