Talk

Advanced search

Chase & Status song 'Let you go'

(17 Posts)
PippiLongBottom Fri 17-Jun-11 14:26:17

I heard this on the radio yesterday and was horrified. It reminded me of all the women on MN who are trying to flee abusers, and here is their situation glorified and made into a pop song FFS.

Here is a link to the lyrics and video

The video doesn't match up with my interpretation of the lyrics but contains many issues of its own. It is a Jeremy Kyle parody, with drug taking, casual sex, and women fighting.

See what you think.

BooyHoo Fri 17-Jun-11 14:28:58

i have no speakers but the lyrics are scary!!! i totally agree with you, that comes across to me as exactly teh way an abuser would talk to a vcitim trying to get away.

BettySwollocksandaCrustyRack Fri 17-Jun-11 14:53:28

yes, the song is fabulous (well, the voice and the music etc) but even I thought the lyrics were a bit scary!!! I never usually notice stuff like that but totally agree!

PurpleStrawberry Fri 17-Jun-11 14:58:14

The lyrics make me feel very uncomfortable, as does the video, with the way the women are portrayed in it.

BertieBotts Fri 17-Jun-11 15:02:42

Nice. It's horrible when you start to notice stuff like this everywhere, isn't it? sad I don't know whether it's more prevalent than it used to be or whether it was always this way, but abusive attitudes to relationships are much more common than most people would realise, I think.

PippiLongBottom Fri 17-Jun-11 15:07:21

I think It's always being around, but personally speaking, I am just more aware of it at the moment. I will turn this one off if DD is in the car with me. The only other one I turn off at the moment is that dreadful Nicole Sherzinger shite.

lyrics

allosaurusrex Fri 17-Jun-11 22:09:18

Erm. I may be wrong here. But I really, really don't think the song is talking about a romantic relationship. More to do with the bigger issue of the manipulation of public perceptions and our control by the establishment who claim moral authority but are disgusting behind the scenes.

No?

The Nicole Sherzinger is insidious, sexist shite though.

PippiLongBottom Fri 17-Jun-11 22:53:22

Alllo, that would entirely fit with the video. BUT I think they may have made that video in order to manipulate those lyrics to fit.

I think that song was written a couple of years ago with the meaning as I originally interpreted and it was diluted or the subject diverted to fit in with the mainstream and avoid censorship by the creation of the video.

ilovedora27 Sat 18-Jun-11 09:57:44

The video is about how jeremy kyle has people on the show who he sees as beneath him and the public see as 'scum, chavs etc' When Jermemy has done a lot of it himself in the past. He was not at all nice to his wife or children and is a hypocrite. Chase and status are taking the piss out of that but just because he hides it well he can look better than them.

Its something you see in every day life with professionals who take drugs, get drunk, have casual sex etc but they hide it better than the 'chavs'.

allegrageller Sat 18-Jun-11 10:06:54

agree Ilovedora. I found the video interesting and tbh don't see it as offensive to women. The offensive character is the JV.

however I really do agree the lyrics are very disturbing. I wonder what they are trying to do here- something like a musical version of a horror film in which we get uncomfortably close to a monster? not sure.

YNK Sat 18-Jun-11 10:12:13

I agree. It's a meaningful song about hypocrisy in relationships.

Chadee Mon 26-Oct-15 00:39:33

I was shocked when I heard this as well as I thought it was promoting stalking & domestic violence BUT, after listening to the lyrics & watching Jeremy tell him off for being a druggie scumbag & watching him losing access to his kid & crashing his car(injuring only himself), I think it's ACTUALLY a severe coke habit he can't let go of. It's almost like his habit is stalking him wherever he goes, whatever he does, whatever he loses, & he is powerless to resist, at any cost. Have another look at the video that goes with it & let me know if you agree with this hypothesis, or not.

Destinysdaughter Thu 29-Oct-15 07:21:57

So the song is about a drug addiction? Kinda makes sense but yes I was horrified when I first heard it!

tabulahrasa Thu 29-Oct-15 07:41:26

They quite like taking on social issues btw...Time ft Delilah has a video about domestic violence and a flash up to refuge at the end.

So yep, I think you're wrong to take a too straightforward interpretation of it, I always thought it was about drugs as well.

PlaysWellWithOthers Thu 29-Oct-15 07:51:02

Bringing up a 4 year old thread, in order to say that the OP was wrong?

That's som dedication there!

JoanGalt Thu 29-Oct-15 07:54:59

It about drug addiction.

tabulahrasa Thu 29-Oct-15 08:43:53

Grr, I never notice it when someone bumps an old thread...they should make the warning come up for more than the first post. (Has no idea if that's possible, but gets caught all the time by that)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: