Talk

Advanced search

A Message from the Silent Majority

(202 Posts)
smugaboo Wed 08-Jun-11 00:12:23

To those of you that post in this topic time and time again. Who challenge bigotry, misconceptions and sexism where you see it. To posters like StewieGriffithsMum, Dittany, HerBex, AyeRobot, Himalaya, garlicbutter, seeker and countless others who take the time to post insightful, thought provoking comments that challenge deep seated mysoginistic views. I just wanted to let you know that there are many of us out here who don't post much (due to time restrictions/willingness to learn rather than talk right now etc) who support you and learn more all the time. And pass it on.

You take a lot of shit but I think you are making a difference. You may not be waving placards, jumping in front of horses or 'burning bras' (I know, a myth) but this (the internet) is the new medium for thought exchange and activism and you are making a difference. And the MRA know it too, or they wouldn't send in their trolls in every now and then.

Don't let the bastards get you down.

Sorry if that seems 'crawly bum lick' but I have nothing to gain for giving you support. Just needs to be said sometimes.

smugaboo Wed 08-Jun-11 00:13:56

Um Misogynistic. Lets insidiously destroy it by misspelling it.

OvO Wed 08-Jun-11 00:15:18

Good post, smugaboo!

I don't post but do read and have really learnt a lot from this section of MN.

PrinceHumperdink Wed 08-Jun-11 00:22:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GetOrf Wed 08-Jun-11 00:27:37

loads of lurkers on here I bet.

I would like to add prolesworth to the list of mumsnetters who I admire and always post intelligent and insightful feminist threads. And MrsBaldwin, and others whose names i have forgotten.

I do post on here but am not as well versed as other mners. But I do support the vast majority of what is said, and god have I learnt a lot in 4 years on mn.

Prolesworth Wed 08-Jun-11 00:36:58

Message withdrawn

GetOrf Wed 08-Jun-11 00:39:48

It has been lifechanging I agree - I am not stupid but this topic has really made me think since I have been on mumsnet.

Oh I loved the lefties threads as well <roll on next elecgtion>

Himalaya Wed 08-Jun-11 07:49:43

OMG I got namechecked. Thanks smugaboo <must be some mistake>.

Can I mention LRDthefeministdragon, Herbex, and MillYR too.

Prolesworth Wed 08-Jun-11 08:58:55

Message withdrawn

PrinceHumperdink Wed 08-Jun-11 09:12:36

RubberDuck Wed 08-Jun-11 09:12:42

Great post and agree.

I realised the other day that I hardly ever post when I agree with something - only when I disagree or feel like I have something to add (which is hardly ever).

I've learned a tremendous amount from this section and it has made a huge impact on how I see things around me now.

Earthymama Wed 08-Jun-11 09:17:03

I'll add my cheers too. I admire you all immensely, this is my favourite topic on MN.

InmaculadaConcepcion Wed 08-Jun-11 09:23:47

Yes, I've learned loads from all those posters mentioned too. Really invaluable stuff. Three cheers to them!

Can I also add Beachcomber, sparky, snowmama, SwallowedAFly, SybilBeddowes to the roll-call?

(There are plenty of others of course, but those came to mind)

TrillianAstra Wed 08-Jun-11 09:24:16

Bum lickers

grin

InmaculadaConcepcion Wed 08-Jun-11 09:24:35

And of course, PrinceHumperdinck herself.... smile

smugaboo Wed 08-Jun-11 09:41:21

Ah! I mean Stewie Griffins Mum!!

suwoo Wed 08-Jun-11 09:46:58

I am a lurker/rare poster. I am trying to get my university tutor to post here. I directed her to the thread I started about educational attainment and she enjoyed reading it, the poster's opinions she identified with the most were Beachcombers.

On a personal level, regarding my recent feminist theory assignments/exam, I am very grateful to dittany and SGM but they already know that grin

celadon Wed 08-Jun-11 09:50:17

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 08-Jun-11 09:50:26

PrinceHumperdink Wed 08-Jun-11 09:54:38

SybilBeddows Wed 08-Jun-11 09:55:54

What a lovely thread, thank you Smugaboo and all the other lurkers.

I love this topic so much.

InmaculadaConcepcion Wed 08-Jun-11 09:56:27

Not forgetting SardineQueen....

InmaculadaConcepcion Wed 08-Jun-11 09:57:10

Ahem, sorry for the extra "e" in your name, SB! (This is why I usually stick to initials...!)

Prolesworth Wed 08-Jun-11 09:58:09

Message withdrawn

Blackduck Wed 08-Jun-11 09:58:20

Here, here....don't post much, but do lurk (pretty much my default MN style smile )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now