Talk

Advanced search

Against Fathers Who Don't Pay Their Way political party

(13 Posts)
AyeRobot Thu 02-Jun-11 23:05:26

OK. It needs a snappier title.

I don't know the exact stats on this, but I suspect that if all women who are in that position voted for the party, they would at least be coalition material.

Circa 50% of first marriages end in divorce. The majority of marriages that end in divorce have children. 3/5 of NRP fathers pay minimal (£5pw) or no child support.

I think we are entering Lib Dem territory here, in terms of numbers.

Who is in?

celadon Thu 02-Jun-11 23:08:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wellnerfermind Thu 02-Jun-11 23:39:45

www.childmaintenance.org/en/pdf/qss/qss-mar-2011.pdf

According to this 77.6% of CSA claims were being paid.

2.5 million are eligible to claim CSA and 1.2 million do so.

Of the remaining 1.3 million.

1 in 10 pay through a court agreement.
3 in 10 pay through a private agreement.
6 in 10 do not make any claim at all.

www.gingerbread.org.uk/file_download.aspx?id=7155

AyeRobot Thu 02-Jun-11 23:58:20

47.3% of NRP's are unemployed. My arse they are. Only as far as the tax man is concerned for many of them.

NRPs owed a toal of £3.787 billion pounds as of December 2010. Imagine what single parent familes could do with a share of that.

The fact that 1,145,700 Rps have to go the CSA route is shocking in itself.

The average amount of child maintenance non-resident parents are assessed to pay in March 2011 is £22.20 per week including nil assessments, and £33.50 per week excluding nil assessments.

How far do you get on £22.20 a week?

dittany Fri 03-Jun-11 00:01:18

AyeRobot Fri 03-Jun-11 00:03:37

Spaff out and be counted?

caramelwaffle Fri 03-Jun-11 00:15:59

I'd vote for them.

Sleepingonthebus Fri 03-Jun-11 00:23:58

How far do you get on £22.20 a week?

A wee bit further than £7.50 a week grin

I'd vote for them!

millie30 Fri 03-Jun-11 08:00:41

I'd vote for them too! The £5 per week I get doesn't even cover my travel costs to take my DS to the contact centre. I end up out of pocket.

MrsClown Fri 03-Jun-11 12:04:44

I would vote for them too. I am lucky because my ex husband has always paid maintenance (150 per month for 1 child). I have always worked full time so it has really helped. Infact, my son is nearly 18 in education but works part time. My ex is still paying. He is a much better father than husband!!!!

Please do not forget absent mothers. I have brought my 2 stepsons up without a penny from their mother. She hasnt sent Christmas/birthday cards even. She has never paid a bean. She has never had a proper job and just goes through life from man to man living with anyone who will keep her!!!!! I hate her for that. As a mum, I cant understand how she thinks.

Reality Fri 03-Jun-11 12:09:03

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 03-Jun-11 13:01:04

sunshineandbooks Fri 03-Jun-11 13:55:02

I'm in.

The CSA figures above of course only cover NRPs in the CSA system. Gingerbread reckon the real figure of NRPs not paying in 3 in 5 (60%).

The main trouble with non-enforcement by the CSA is that if the NRP says he can't afford to pay, the onus is on the PWC to demonstrate that he can.

If only non-payment of maintenance was treated as seriously as non-payment of a magistrate's court fine - resulting in imprisonment. I think we'd find lots of NRPs suddenly coughing up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: