Talk

Advanced search

Woman State Representative tells men in the Texas Lege exactly what's what

(8 Posts)
dittany Sun 29-May-11 20:29:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

claig Sun 29-May-11 20:48:47

Fantastic. She is formidable. Very powerful speech. Shamed the men in there.

dittany Sun 29-May-11 20:53:02

AyeRobot Sun 29-May-11 21:05:25

Amazing woman.

There are some tough cookies in the Southern states. There is a woman in Al-anon called Blanche from Texas whose talks are available on line and I could listen to her all day. I credit her and Mary Pearl from Arkansas for guiding me through the bullshit.

I wish I had your optimism, though, dittany.

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Sun 29-May-11 21:37:50

That woman is incredible. What an inspiration.

I looked up the bill in question because at first I was a bit puzzled why a picture of a baby and a boob was causing so much fuss. It turns out that the flier was a bit of propaganda against regulation of the insurance industry claiming that it would lead to expansion of the nanny state. Baby being breastfed means expansion of the nanny state ..... I didn't get it either.

www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/26/3107688/texas-lawmaker-decries-sexist.html

Every silver lining has it's cloud though.

www.texastribune.org/texas-legislature/82nd-legislative-session/texas-house-women-angry-over-despicable-flyers/
''^Thompson's speech received a standing ovation. Following the speech, Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer asked the speaker if a handful of male lawmakers could arrange a meeting to ensure there was no objectification of women in the chamber^.''

hmm

SuchProspects Sun 29-May-11 21:50:14

She is awesome. And that speech is fantastic. But she's been in office for decades, and while I'm sure she has got better with age she's never been a walk over, so the optimism, sadly, is probably misplaced sad

dittany Sun 29-May-11 21:55:14

SuchProspects Sun 29-May-11 21:56:51

I do hope you're right grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now