Talk

Advanced search

Woman State Representative tells men in the Texas Lege exactly what's what

(8 Posts)
dittany Sun 29-May-11 20:29:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

claig Sun 29-May-11 20:48:47

Fantastic. She is formidable. Very powerful speech. Shamed the men in there.

dittany Sun 29-May-11 20:53:02

AyeRobot Sun 29-May-11 21:05:25

Amazing woman.

There are some tough cookies in the Southern states. There is a woman in Al-anon called Blanche from Texas whose talks are available on line and I could listen to her all day. I credit her and Mary Pearl from Arkansas for guiding me through the bullshit.

I wish I had your optimism, though, dittany.

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Sun 29-May-11 21:37:50

That woman is incredible. What an inspiration.

I looked up the bill in question because at first I was a bit puzzled why a picture of a baby and a boob was causing so much fuss. It turns out that the flier was a bit of propaganda against regulation of the insurance industry claiming that it would lead to expansion of the nanny state. Baby being breastfed means expansion of the nanny state ..... I didn't get it either.

www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/26/3107688/texas-lawmaker-decries-sexist.html

Every silver lining has it's cloud though.

www.texastribune.org/texas-legislature/82nd-legislative-session/texas-house-women-angry-over-despicable-flyers/
''^Thompson's speech received a standing ovation. Following the speech, Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer asked the speaker if a handful of male lawmakers could arrange a meeting to ensure there was no objectification of women in the chamber^.''

hmm

SuchProspects Sun 29-May-11 21:50:14

She is awesome. And that speech is fantastic. But she's been in office for decades, and while I'm sure she has got better with age she's never been a walk over, so the optimism, sadly, is probably misplaced sad

dittany Sun 29-May-11 21:55:14

SuchProspects Sun 29-May-11 21:56:51

I do hope you're right grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: