dittany Mon 09-May-11 23:29:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 10-May-11 00:05:06

Fantabulous indeed smile

Thanks for starting the thread, Stewie.

TrillianAstra Tue 10-May-11 00:14:30

<nosey>

blackcurrants Tue 10-May-11 01:19:51

I absolutely love this section. I came to MN for the preg advice and stayed for the breastfeeding advice but I'm STILL HERE for the Feminism. I never kept up with any of the 'antenatal club' threads but somehow scour this section daily, nodding, scowling, but always learning something awesome.

I don't know many UK feminists (been here in the USA for 7 years now) and iti's so great that now, if/when I eventually get back to the UK I will have people to gravitate towards, on marches and things!
<gushes-then-blushes>

sakura Tue 10-May-11 02:17:42

I didn't even know I was a feminist until this section opened.
Now I get called 'crazy' or 'insane' on here at least every 10 days . Must be doing something right.

InmaculadaConcepcion Tue 10-May-11 06:46:02

Have you noticed the sudden proliferation of new threads and posters since the new section in Talk?
'Smarvellous.

TimeWasting Tue 10-May-11 07:15:13

Hello. I've got a positive I've been meaning to share with you all.
There's a little skate park near us. Normally it's all boys, or there's an occasional young lass done up and holding the coats, but last week I noticed a whole group of girls on bmx. smile

PrinceHumperdink Tue 10-May-11 07:56:56

TimeWasting Tue 10-May-11 08:09:15

PH, shared babysitting sounds like heaven!

PrinceHumperdink Tue 10-May-11 08:13:43

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 10-May-11 08:16:33

PrinceHumperdink Tue 10-May-11 08:20:45

Beachcomber Tue 10-May-11 08:23:53

Hey Sakura, I really liked what you said on the childfree thread about sexual oppression being the root. Liked it so much I just copied it and said 'I agree with Sakura'!

blackcurrants Tue 10-May-11 12:10:58

I'm in NJ, PrinceH - I commute to Manhattan for work. Used to live in Manhattan but have begun the slow slide into suburbia since getting the dog, then the baby....

Sexism is ever so different here. People are much politer (in general, I've found) so there's less 14 year old boys shouting "show us yer tits!" on buses, but there's a LOT more institutionalized sexism. No mat leave protections, etc.

Interestingly, though, a lot more breastfeeding and pregnancy support, and people seem to love kids a lot more. Though that could be my very very italian-american town. I feel welcome just about everywhere with the baby-and-buggy, which is nice.

Mind you, there's a SERIOUS cult of motherhood over here, so that's probably got something to do with it. It's a strange place, very strange how different the sexism is, but oh it's definitely still here.

I like the idea of the pool, but the climbing frame, swings, etc for the kids is a the biggest draw so far. A bit of green is getting more and more important to me. I must be getting old smile

PrinceHumperdink Tue 10-May-11 12:17:41

notenoughsocks Tue 10-May-11 12:22:51

sakura. I am shock.

You never knew you were a feminist till this section opened. That is a joke, right? Or not?

You just seem so practisced, fluid and articulate [ott, but deserved, I think] in your posts.

Also, about shared babysitting. Could anybody point me to info on how to set up babysitting circles in RL? - I was thinking in terms of something like LETS, I suppose.

TimeWasting Tue 10-May-11 12:46:25

Yes, I'm interested in babysitting circles too.

Oh, can we have a communal launderette? I would love not to have laundry all over the place .
With a coffee machine. Overlooking the playground.

SardineQueen Tue 10-May-11 12:49:08

Just checking in. The commune is coming along nicely grin Big playground in the middle and a pool, perfect. Can we house this building in a controllable microclimate as well, please?

bucaneve Tue 10-May-11 12:59:19

<also lurky and nosy>

SardineQueen Tue 10-May-11 13:31:42

We don't have to do communal food do we? It always ends in rows. DH and I are off-message on the lentils front, I'm sorry to report.

dittany Tue 10-May-11 13:34:48

PrinceHumperdink Tue 10-May-11 13:44:49

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 10-May-11 13:56:57

Ah this sounds lovely <wriggles toes in feminist micro-climate)

As ever I can offer babysitting in return for cake.

There needs to be a big craft room somewhere where people can stitch banners. And a kind of Situation Room (see: West Wing) where we can rally when there is a feminist emergency like the govt trying to retrench our rights, and co-ordinate the fightback.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 10-May-11 14:36:49

This thread is not accepting new messages.