Talk

Advanced search

Foundation to get SET professional women back into work

(10 Posts)
AnnieLobeseder Fri 07-Jan-11 12:25:51

I've just found out about a wonderful foundation called the Daphne Jackson Trust which is aimed at getting science, engineering and technology professionals back to work after a career break.

This is the blurb from their web page.
The Daphne Jackson Trust runs a returners scheme to help scientists, engineers and technologists who have been disadvantaged by having a career break.

These people have had a huge amount of investment spent in their education and training as SET professionals. Work life balance is a key issue in our society and many more people are taking career breaks than previously, for reasons of family and bringing up children, relocating with a partner, illness, looking after elderly relatives, disabled family members, etc. The problem for highly qualified SET professionals is that their field has rapidly moved on and they need to update skills or retrain to return at the appropriate level. Thus, without our help, their talents, plus the money, time and effort spent in their training is completely wasted.
If we keep losing SET professionals there will be huge gaps in the skills base and UK industry will not be competitive with the rest of the world. The Daphne Jackson Trust is continually working to address the problem and make everyone aware of the importance of returning SET professionals to their full potential in research careers.

What a wonderful resource for SET women returning to work!

I wish I'd known about them when I went back to work. I'm so excited I want to tell everyone in the hopes it gets another woman scientist back to work!

AnnieLobeseder Fri 07-Jan-11 12:29:01

Apologies for double thread, no idea why that happened. Please post on this one and ignore the other one. I will report the other one.

AnnieLobeseder Fri 07-Jan-11 12:29:01

Apologies for double thread, no idea why that happened. Please post on this one and ignore the other one. I will report the other one.

sakura Fri 07-Jan-11 15:05:56

That does sound really good smile

ISNT Fri 07-Jan-11 19:49:13

Gosh that's really great smile

Ii wonder if it's worth posting on the employment section or even chat or somewhere - deserves a wider audience I think!

AnnieLobeseder Fri 07-Jan-11 19:53:01

I posted it in 'going back to work' too.

ISNT Fri 07-Jan-11 19:55:42

Nice one Annie!

I have a science degree but didn't do anything with it, something I regret really.

AnnieLobeseder Fri 07-Jan-11 19:57:39

ISNT - never too late! I didn't get my first science job until I was 30, won't get my PhD until I'm 41, but so what!?!

ISNT Fri 07-Jan-11 19:59:21

I am doing something with the OU at the mo smile

Thanks for the encouragement!

OgreTripletsAreSoCute Fri 07-Jan-11 20:02:31

It's good isn't it? I've just had a break for a year from science and started a new job this week, already get the sense that things have moved on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now