Advanced search

Naomi Wolf on Newsnight talking about Assange case

(7 Posts)
LadyBlaBlah Thu 06-Jan-11 23:03:01

On now

dittany Thu 06-Jan-11 23:16:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bellabelly Thu 06-Jan-11 23:18:46

Yes dittany but she came across terribly, don't you think? I expected her to present her crap ideas a bit more convincingly.

dittany Thu 06-Jan-11 23:21:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bellabelly Thu 06-Jan-11 23:24:30

Meh, she has always courted the media I think and I expect now that she is no longer quite the "bright young thing", she will continue to come out with a string of increasingly outlandish ideas to keep herself in the spotlight.

Unwind Thu 06-Jan-11 23:27:14

there is probably a thread on this already, but I can't find it:

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jan/05/julia n-assange-sex-crimes-anonymity

in which Naomi Wolf argues that the victims should be named (not sure if she always argued for this?)

And seems to compare suspected rapists to homosexuals,

even likening Assange to Oscar Wilde, who also endured solitary confinement (forgetting that for the latter, it was years rather than hours)

LadyBlaBlah Fri 07-Jan-11 10:10:35

Yes, her argument was that it is time that rape victims are named because the anonymity laws have not worked in the intended way of protecting women and increasing the conviction rates.

I am not sure she is totally wrong because I have never experienced the alternative.

I thought she was quite attacked on Newsnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now