Talk

Advanced search

Why would any grown woman...

(17 Posts)
ArsMamatoria Sun 02-Jan-11 10:36:53

want to present herself in the way Callista Flockhart has done on the Sunday Times fashion supplement?

A rhetorical question unfortunately, and it's so depressing.

expatinscotland Sun 02-Jan-11 10:38:37

Why does any woman buy the Times and line the pockets of a misogynist twat like Murdoch?

ArsMamatoria Sun 02-Jan-11 10:48:23

True expat (I didn't, though!)

AlistairSim Sun 02-Jan-11 10:49:37

I need more details to save me from having to go and buy it.

ArsMamatoria Sun 02-Jan-11 10:53:49

Oh, the usual fare - legs akimbo, flimsy nightie hitched up to crotch, arms limply by sides, mouth slightly open, dead-eyed (or possibly supposed to be 'come hither) expression.

expatinscotland Sun 02-Jan-11 10:56:30

Don't give this rag headspace. Don't buy it, don't read it. Totally unsurprising since it's a Murdoch machination that women are seen posing like hoochies.

Goblinchild Sun 02-Jan-11 11:04:38

You mean the original lollipop woman?
Because she thinks it's a sexy star-like attitude to strike?
And although she's 46, and thus two decades past desirable in Hollywood terms, she's still trying to keep in the Game?

ISNT Sun 02-Jan-11 17:41:41

Is she still going out with harrison ford?

<sleb twaddle sorry>

Not seen the pics in the OP, I guess they asked her to pose like that.

msrisotto Mon 03-Jan-11 09:24:56

I think they're married ISNT.

Lots of grown women do this to themselves for money and fame. It's sad.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 03-Jan-11 09:27:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scottishmummy Mon 03-Jan-11 19:43:27

imagine she wasnt compelled to pose like a playboy pet- havent seen article though.

shes hardly deep or significant.just another speak your weight actress

JessinAvalon Mon 03-Jan-11 21:39:53

I saw it as my parents insist on buying The Sunday Times. I thought it was a pretty crappy article and photos.

What really annoys me with the Sunday Times is the way they have to have a half naked woman on the front every single week, as an accompaniment to some story.

This week the header had 2 women in bikinis and a photo of a cheerleader as the main photo.

I wish my parents would stop buying it. The Style section and other sections are just awful.

Here's an article from today's Independent as an antidote:

www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/mary-an n-sieghart/mary-ann-sieghart-lets-resolve-to-embra ce-our-flaws-2174683.html

aviatrix Mon 03-Jan-11 22:17:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeiTetua Mon 03-Jan-11 22:18:28

It's the entertainment industry.

Aptly called "show business".

sakura Tue 04-Jan-11 04:48:03

And that's women's purpose isn't it: to entertain. To me there is a similarity between how black men are portrayed in the media, and women in general: the entertainers, the dancer and singers, the sportspeople. Reduced to the physical and the biological because high-brow purposes and aims, those existential dilemmas, are the premise of white men.

mdavza Tue 04-Jan-11 13:15:34

I think it's silly to limit yourself to reading only certain rags. If you read Independent/Guardian, you're lining someone's pocket. I prefer honest assholes to those pretending to do it 'for the greater good' or whatever.
And you might miss out on excellent articles, and a broader point of view.
Agree with TeiTetua!

sloggies Tue 04-Jan-11 21:00:27

Sad that this still goes on...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now