Talk

Advanced search

Senior lecturer thinks women shouldnt go to university

(110 Posts)
sarah293 Sun 26-Dec-10 14:03:00

Message withdrawn

Katisha Sun 26-Dec-10 14:06:10

I doubt he gets much credence from anyone else. He probably prides himself on his controversial views. Best ignored, rather than given the oxygen of publicity I reckon.

sarah293 Sun 26-Dec-10 14:07:08

Message withdrawn

Katisha Sun 26-Dec-10 14:09:41

There are plenty of then about in academe!

She needs to develop a withering look and move on to someone more interesting. And not give the likes of him the frisson of causing offence.

mamakoukla Sun 26-Dec-10 14:10:21

Riven , they exist in all speheres... some men expect women to stay home and look after them. Academia just seems to have its fair few, possibly part of the male-dominated ranks increasing that percentage. My take on it is everybody is entitled to an opinion but I don't have to agree with it. If it is only about teaching, I would let it go although I am not saying that it is in anyway right. It is not right that a person with such extremist views should be able to hold such power on boards and committees where decisions are made that influence who is hired. It does make me quite sad that there is still such opposition.

sarah293 Sun 26-Dec-10 14:11:12

Message withdrawn

mamakoukla Sun 26-Dec-10 14:14:56

On the other hand, whilst he does have a say in matters, there must be colleagues who balance/temper things out. His attitude likely does get grating after a while. Hmm... how does he treat female students? As long as he does his job well and is fair at marking, your DD should be good.

P.S. spotted your other thread. Glad your DD had a good time. I must run but I'll be back to read later.

sarah293 Sun 26-Dec-10 14:16:46

Message withdrawn

ISNT Sun 26-Dec-10 14:26:17

If he is telling his female students that they shouldn't be there, then that shouldn't be allowed, no.

itsawonderfuldarleneconnorlife Sun 26-Dec-10 14:28:50

Is there some way she can make a complaint about him?

What if he is deliberatly downgrading females?

sarah293 Sun 26-Dec-10 14:31:31

Message withdrawn

onimolap Sun 26-Dec-10 14:42:34

under what circs did he make the comments? Was there anyone else around? Is it worth a direct formal complaint?

I don't really approve of whispering campaigns, but do you have any contacts (via the grandfather) in the field who should be alerted to what a prize prat this man can be?

peppapighastakenovermylife Sun 26-Dec-10 14:46:43

shock Yuck.

MummyBerryJuice Sun 26-Dec-10 14:54:11

OMG Riven.

She's at Cambridge, isn't she? I am shocked that he is so open about it, especially to his students. He's probably one of those horrible misogynists who think that they are being clever and funny by being bold enough to express it.

Disgusting.

Katisha Sun 26-Dec-10 15:24:59

It's mind games though isn't it. He is probably enjoying winding up undergrads who he finds easy to outrage.
Doubt he would respond to reason!
Withering amusement the best response I feel.

Bink Sun 26-Dec-10 15:36:21

I think I would want to know more about the conversation before condemning him.

For instance, I have had many and many a conversation with women my own age (late 40s) who have battled it out keeping the career going while we look around at our female contemporaries stepping out of whatever it was we all trained for. And those conversations often take in a bit of wondering why train for a career and then ditch it when it starts getting tough(er), as it does when you have a family, it's the simple truth. Obviously we always end up saying 'everyone's life choices are theirs to make' and 'everyone's circumstances are different' and rationalising the bit of disappointment ... but someone listening in could EASILY turn what we're saying into us taking the view that 'women shouldn't go to university'. Which is not, obviously, the message. Are you sure his views distill to the message reported?

MummyBerryJuice Sun 26-Dec-10 15:36:53

I hate the way it is considered sophisticated to not be offended by sexist opinion though, Katisha.

I don't see it being considered naive to be outraged by a lecturer expressing a belief that black people should attend university. Do you?

thumbplumpuddingwitch Sun 26-Dec-10 15:40:23

Disgusting thing to say to a female student. No excuse for it at all. He might as well have said directly to her face "you shouldn't be here, you're taking up a space that a male should have had"

Correct response - something along the lines of sticking his antediluvian prejudices up his arse, I feel.

Katisha Sun 26-Dec-10 15:43:02

Mummyberryjuice my feeling is that he is looking for outrage so why give him that satisfaction?

And yes Bink - I hear what you are saying.

Sariah Sun 26-Dec-10 15:50:28

He is entitled to his opinion and I assume he has some reasons for it. Freedom of speech is important imo and I would neither be offended or put off by someones opinion. I assume he has an informed opinion and while I may or may not agree with I think I would be interested to hear why he has such strong views and see what they stem from.

MummyBerryJuice Sun 26-Dec-10 15:54:56

YY - Katisha, he is looking for it and will relish female students being outraged as he can then turn around and mock them for their lack of worldliness. Thereby ridiculing their belief in themselves.

Awful.

And AFAIK, education isn't all about the outcomes (career, income etc) but about acquiring the skills to reason. And surely all people are entitled to that (particulartly now that they will be paying large sums of money for that priviledge themselves)?

MummyBerryJuice Sun 26-Dec-10 15:56:54

Saraih, really? Would he be entitled to express an opinion that blacks/homosexuals/disabled etc should not attend university?

MummyBerryJuice Sun 26-Dec-10 15:58:02

Oops. Apologies for the misspelling Sariah

Sariah Sun 26-Dec-10 16:04:51

I think people are entitled to express opinions and shouldn't immediately be labeled sexist/racist/homophobic etc just because they have a different view. He is not saying he won't teach them or he is not saying that they are inferior but I expect he is looking at it from a societal perspective or maybe he is but I would like to hear his reasons why before labelling him

LittleMissHoHoHoFit Sun 26-Dec-10 16:20:39

Sariah, why would a lecturer - by definition someone who ought to know better - be permitted the latitude to say that women should not go to university.

I don't think there is any way to take this other than anti-female and therefore discriminatory.

MBJ, how is it possible for someone to say that one is unworldly to be outraged. I don't get it. In that other cultures don't have education so it's irrelevant to them??? confused

I think I'd be inclined to lodge an official complaint if this were a lecturer at a college where my DC were taught.

Freedom of speech means that we are entitled to express our thoughts and ideas AS LONG AS they are not deliberately offensive towards others of a different sex/race/sexual orientation.

He can hold a different view and express it without being discriminatory.

I fail to see how you could take this chaps words and make them acceptable under any circumstances.

Women entitled to attend higher education. Yes or No?

Yes = fair, equal, inclusive
No = exclusive, unfair and discriminatory.

Kind of black and white from any way I can see it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: