Talk

Advanced search

Double barrel or not?

(9 Posts)
kittenIOM Thu 02-Dec-10 12:16:15

I have been married for a few years and I kept my maiden name.

We have just had a baby boy and he has DH’s surname, but now I am now considering double barrelling my surname with DH’s surname so I have a family connection to DH and DS and I can also still use my maiden name as and when I want to.

I was just wondering if anyone else has this done this – how did it work for you? Did you encounter any problems?

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 02-Dec-10 13:34:29

Yeah do it. Why not eh?

Oh hang on - I thought you were talking about double-barrelling the baby 's surname. That would be a good idea IMO.

Why would you want to change your name though? You've had yours for decades, the baby has had his for - what, weeks? Change his. He won't even know it's happened, and you still get your connection to your little boy

mazzystartled Thu 02-Dec-10 13:36:10

I'd just double barrel the baby's

Don't muck about with your own unless DH does same.

msrisotto Thu 02-Dec-10 18:08:10

I'd do it the spanish way personally and double barrel the babba's surname.

frgr Thu 02-Dec-10 19:32:47

Why not all double barrel? That's what DH and I have done Works fine for us.

(although, neither of us changed at all at the wedding for about 18 months, only did this once DCwas on the horizon, since i like my name, DH likes his, and they "sound" acceptable together... we agreed that if we didn't like the idea by the due date we'd flip a coin and all change to that name.. but it never got to that.)

Bue Thu 02-Dec-10 20:33:40

Change the baby's, not your own! (Another option is to add your surname as a second middle name for the baby.) Sorry, on the feminism boards you might not get a lot of support for taking your husband's name without an equal change on his partgrin

kittenIOM Fri 03-Dec-10 20:44:59

Thanks - it's good to get hear your views. All my female friends/family have taken DH's surname so don't understand me keeping my own surname.

groak Fri 03-Dec-10 20:49:46

Change your babys name! We had a boy at school who had a d-b surname, and his nickname was... shotgun!! I mean, how cool is that????

(apologises for utter lack of seriousness and helpfulness of post grin )

LeninGrad Fri 03-Dec-10 20:56:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now