Talk

Advanced search

Just found a Feminist online magazine I love!

(14 Posts)
blackcurrants Thu 02-Dec-10 02:25:34

It's called On The Issues and a friend on fb had posted the link to this article,"The Rise of Enlightened Sexism" about the vilification of feminism in the last 15-20 years... and not only is it a really good read, but I was heartend by how many of my mates chimed in on fb with "damn right" and "I'm a card-carrying feminist and proud" and "world needs more feminism and less pole-dancy 'empowerment' nonsense"

... so I just wanted to share the warm fuzzy feeling (and powerful, incisive reading material) with you all. Enjoy!

madwomanintheattic Thu 02-Dec-10 02:46:24

grin i just realised it's susan j douglas. grin i love her. have been hooked since 'where the girls are'. thanks blackcurrants!

Beachcomber Thu 02-Dec-10 09:13:42

Thanks for this blackcurrants.

Good article - I nodded the whole way through.

I liked this bit:

"while the scantily clad or bare-breasted women may have seemed to be objectified, they were really on top, the argument went, because now they chose to be sex objects and men were their helpless, ogling, crotch-driven slaves."

HerBeatitude Thu 02-Dec-10 10:40:45

I liked that whole article, have posted it on my FB

tabouleh Thu 02-Dec-10 12:53:34

oh wow - the magazine looks great! grin

Loving this article.

I have to quote you this bit:

"I picture all the women and young girls fighting for justice in whatever way they are able, in their college classrooms and in their workplaces; at their computers and iPads or out in the world.

I embrace them.

But I will always challenge their thinking, because they are not what they wear, who they fuck or what they buy. They are what they think, and what they do about what they think."

I really really love that bit I've put in bold - it realy strikes a chord with how I feel about myself and others.

Sakura Thu 02-Dec-10 12:55:08

"What the media have been giving us then over the past fifteen years are fantasies of power. These fantasies assure girls and women, repeatedly, that women's liberation is a fait accompli "

THis is so true. I remember reading articles, newspapers, magazines, TV and hearing things with my head that didn'T make sense in my heart, but as a 15 year old girl I trusted the adults around me, the adult world, and believed knew things that I didn't.
WHat a lie it all was!

Beachcomber Thu 02-Dec-10 14:44:14

Gosh just realised that people might think I think taking your clothes off for money is empowering. Shit!!

I absolutely don't. I just liked the way she put it - clearly showing how stupid such an idea is.

tabouleh Thu 02-Dec-10 15:05:09

Don't worry Beachcomber - I certainly got your meaning and I'm sure anyone who's read your posts would know that you don't think taking clothes off for ££ is empowering!

Beachcomber Thu 02-Dec-10 15:06:49

That's alright then! Thought I might have to hang up my dungarees in shame there.

TeiTetua Thu 02-Dec-10 15:50:14

So long as you take 'em off for shame and not money, you're OK.

dittany Thu 02-Dec-10 18:17:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Beachcomber Thu 02-Dec-10 18:20:45

Had only planned to hang up dungarees metaphorically, not to actually get nekkid! shock

<Worries how this concept could be used by the patriarchy to get women to take their clothes off (for a change)>

Beachcomber Thu 02-Dec-10 18:23:20

<Ahem, hitches up dungarees and gets back on topic.>

Agree, dittany, that part really resonated with me too. Particularly as "good, old-fashioned patriarchy" is a phrase I'm partial to.

TryLikingClarity Thu 02-Dec-10 20:54:19

Great stuff.

Have just bookmarked that site for a proper read later on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now