Talk

Advanced search

Anti Muslim propaganda.......is this true?

(14 Posts)
TheFeministParent Fri 26-Nov-10 15:45:53

link
So I've been arguing with someone online regarding blanket prejudice and hating the practice/action not the people. But then he links to this which makes me think two things, one) is this stuff true? two)Amazing propaganda....

No wonder support against Muslims is growing if this sort stuff is available and pushed as fact.

AliceWorld Fri 26-Nov-10 15:55:05

Does it look true? It looks quite obviously like stuff made up to express a particular point of view. Who knows whether the data on it has some grounds in truth or not, but the source is so utterly unreliable I would not consider basing any opinion on it. If you're looking specifically at the table (where it goes straight to on my screen) how on earth would they be privvy to that information and capable of conducting any proper analysis?

Tbh I find this less worrying than the drip drip from the media. This stuff I would imagine people can see it for what it is. The media is more subtle.

TheFeministParent Fri 26-Nov-10 16:00:01

Well, I've checked about five facts and all are true. I can really understand how the propaganda machine works, the person that posted this during a discussion on prejudice (one woman shouting(in caps) that she hates all effing Muslims, even children) and he linked to a 'sad story about Sweden ruined by Islam' which was too obviously pieced together it's untrue. But when arguing prejudice and confronted with countless 'true' things which are unfavourable I really struggle. As a feminist I can deal with defending prejudice, but with religion I am lost.

sarah293 Fri 26-Nov-10 16:27:13

Message withdrawn

TheCoalitionNeedsYou Fri 26-Nov-10 16:34:27

The mistake is in thinking that Islam is a cause rather than a pretext for attacks.

alexpolismum Fri 26-Nov-10 16:45:14

A list of atrocities committed by people who happen to be Muslims.

I am sure that plenty of despicable acts are committed by people from other groups too. Do we indict the entire group?

An evangelical Christian bombs an abortion clinic. Do I tar all Christians with the same brush and think "Wow, they are all evil!"?

Why is this posted in the feminism section?

Snorbs Fri 26-Nov-10 16:54:48

Most of those attacks are linked to Islam as much as the IRA's attacks were linked to Catholicism. Yes, the majority of the IRA's active members would probably have described themselves as Catholic but that wasn't why they were going out and killing people.

TheFeministParent Fri 26-Nov-10 17:02:52

I completely agree, I just found myself a bit lost in the argument, I kept saying do you hate all men because some rape.....for example. I did put up a good fight, honest!!

This is posted in feminism because I wasn't hoping for a free for all...and know that DP hides this section!!

TheFeministParent Fri 26-Nov-10 17:05:05

I even linked to anti Jewish propaganda to show how this all works, but I guess once people feel that they are victims of a group that (despite being less than 2million people) are about to change UK into an Islamic state and our women will be forced to marry at nine and wear burkas, there's probably little I can do.

Tortington Fri 26-Nov-10 17:07:12

if there was a christian equivalent, listing the bad deeds of those people who happen to be also christian, it wouldn't look for pretty reading either.

sarah293 Fri 26-Nov-10 17:09:03

Message withdrawn

TheFeministParent Fri 26-Nov-10 17:22:01

What about church swaps....although I wouldn't imagine church goers would be the sort to be vile toward Muslims, perhaps a sharing of faiths could highlight that you all worship one God and make you a larger mass......of followers and not Muslims, iyswim.

BeerTricksPotter Fri 26-Nov-10 17:32:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AliceWorld Fri 26-Nov-10 17:34:15

So sorry to hear that Riven. Is there anything you can suggest the average person can do?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: