Talk

Advanced search

Hell yeah to Hooters in Cardiff.....according to the Guardian

(11 Posts)
JessinAvalon Wed 24-Nov-10 18:57:56

Article on Hooters Cardiff

This woman got published in the Guardian for a 3 minute job interview with Hooters Cardiff.

A journalist in Bristol who had a 40 minute job interview with Hooters Bristol didn't.

The Cardiff journalist seems to like it.

The BBC are reporting on Cardiff Hooters tomorrow and have extended their coverage to why women are reluctant to engage with feminism. I talked to the journalist this evening for a while. I hope it will be a better article than this one which is pretty poor.

It smacks of trying to keep in with the lads IMHO.

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 24-Nov-10 20:17:57

Christ, how much has she missed the point?

'But any feminist who actually goes to the new restaurant on Mary Ann Street, which opened today, while horrified by the bombardment of smiles, shouts and overkill of American cheese, may be also pleasantly surprised by the lack of sordid undertones.'
'the protesters may have misunderstood the vibe Hooters is aiming for.'

er, no.....

'I'm told by one girl it's their role to 'entertain' – but it soon becomes clear this is directed predominantly at the male guests'

exactly....

JessinAvalon Wed 24-Nov-10 21:14:00

Yes, she's totally missed the point. Very lazy journalism.

I've just deleted two guys off my Facebook friends list because they were arranging to go to Hooters in Cardiff on Saturday and were saying 'Hooters rules'. When I said that guys like them didn't need to pay women to talk to them surely, one said, "I warned you The Feminist, mate". Nice.

And articles like this don't help.

DavidStHubbins Thu 25-Nov-10 08:36:00

Jess's puff piece on the beeb...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11775923

DavidStHubbins Thu 25-Nov-10 08:36:35

Jess's puff piece on the beeb...

ISNT Thu 25-Nov-10 10:13:10

"In fact, when two footballers' wives get up to try the hula – dressed for a night out in thigh-high dresses and towering heels – there's a sudden sense of men in the vicinity ogling more at these tarted up ladies than the Hooters clan – who are girlish and wholesome in comparison."

Sounds horrible, and the person writing the article doesn't sound like they like women very much TBH. It's a strange view, assuming that all of these women are in competition to get "ogled" - when some are being paid to be ogled, and there is no way of telling whether the others care less or not. Strange comment.

Those girls in the guardian photo look so young don't they, is there a minimum age to work there I wonder.

ISNT Thu 25-Nov-10 10:17:21

I suppose if the theme is cheerleaders, then the usual association is schoolgirls, so they have to look pretty young.

Another grim point there - basically it's a "barely legal" or even underage theme isn't it, when you look at it like that.

JessinAvalon Thu 25-Nov-10 11:36:08

Hi all
BBC article. Much better!
J

DuelingFanio Thu 25-Nov-10 11:39:07

I read something recently where a woman said Cardiff Hooters was great and the 'girls' there were great at keeping her kids entertained. Am interested in the fact that they seem to be running some kind of creche!!

JessinAvalon Thu 25-Nov-10 11:54:59

Yes, avoid the big banana in the children's play area in the one in Bristol. A friend was walking past Hooters a few Fridays ago and there was a guy standing on the bar pretending to hump a giant velour banana that belongs in the kids corner!

Minione Thu 25-Nov-10 14:01:32

I can't beleive there are Hooters still open. There was one In Birmingham but I'm sure it closed a while back. My friend's dad and brother used to frequent there, she used to give them hell for it(we were late teens at the time), their response was to call her Claire Short(as though that was an insult) It used to rile us that these intelligent, educated and nice men seemed to think it was ok to ogle women whilst serving hot wings.

As I said, this was a long time ago, (late nineties I guess) I can't beleive that they are reopening these places. There again, everything has dumbed down in the past decade and women are increasingly judged on their appearnace rather than talent and lauded for this (Cheryl Cole, anyone?)so I guess its not that much of a surprise.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: