Talk

Advanced search

Racism/sexism....is it better to monitor or stop it?

(7 Posts)
TheFeministParent Fri 19-Nov-10 07:49:38

I recently came across a BNP facebook page, it is not official, but is certainly been joined by BNP supporters. I often wonder whether it's better to stop it or whether the police like to monitor. Which is better? Do we allow the most despicable views to have air time and therefore gather credibility/followers and monitor them so we know who is thinking these things OR do we just say some things are too vile to be allowed to exist?

earwicga Fri 19-Nov-10 10:52:46

What do you think about this?

I'd prefer they weren't available at all.

TheFeministParent Fri 19-Nov-10 12:55:24

I'm not sure, I would like to hear arguments from both sides. I would prefer that these images weren;t given air time, but perhaps the greater good means it's better to air and discuss or monitor the organisations?

earwicga Fri 19-Nov-10 13:21:57

I get what you are saying. It's often said tha Griffin's appearance on QT did the BNP a lot of damage.

TheFeministParent Fri 19-Nov-10 14:27:01

I just wondered if more censorship would be good or if that's a slippery slope.

How long does it take facebook to really delete these things? It's been over 24hours now.

msrisotto Sat 20-Nov-10 19:09:56

It's a tough one because I am vehemently for free speech.

But not hate speech and I think the distinction is clear enough to ban one and not the other.

cashmygold Sat 20-Nov-10 21:28:43

Its a hard one because we do live in a democracy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: