Talk

Advanced search

I would like to watch a few films that don't leave me frothing at the mouth and lecturing my husband on WHY he shouldn't have enjoyed it

(73 Posts)
YunoWhatYouDidLastSummer Sun 31-Oct-10 08:45:32

I don't mean specifically feminist agenda films, just mainstream stuff that doesn't portray women as optional extra vaginas / nagging uptight beeatches.

Something feelgood wd be nice, but any suggestions welcome.

Any recommendations?

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 31-Oct-10 09:25:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spinaroo Sun 31-Oct-10 09:31:22

steel magnolias

30andMerkin Sun 31-Oct-10 09:32:35

Whip It?

Haven't seen The Kids are Alright yet, but it's supposed to be good in its own right, leaving out the lesbian context.

TheButterflyEffect Sun 31-Oct-10 10:06:04

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 31-Oct-10 10:48:52

YunoWhatYouDidLastSummer Sun 31-Oct-10 10:49:43

Some good ideas. It will take me ages to get through all those, so thanks!

southeastastra Sun 31-Oct-10 10:51:17

aliens grin

i really hated juno alot couldn't see what the fuss was about, was very wincey (imoho!)

TethHearseEnd Sun 31-Oct-10 10:55:39

Morvern Callar is very good.

Juno is a bit shit.

dittany Sun 31-Oct-10 12:03:01

TethHearseEnd Sun 31-Oct-10 12:33:02

Juno pissed me off because the central character felt a if she'd been scripted by a middle aged man- you know, typical 'kooky', witty, (never needy) female who played the guitar. The kind of girl he wishes he'd gone out with as a teenager.

The character had no depth. Her own mother had left her, she gave her baby away and this relationship was not explored at all.

EmpressOfTheUniverseReality Sun 31-Oct-10 12:37:49

Prolesworth Sun 31-Oct-10 12:45:28

Message withdrawn

JessinAvalon Sun 31-Oct-10 12:49:02

The Lives of Others? German film with subtitles but one of the best I've seen in years. Thoughtprovoking and one of the main characters is a strong woman.

I've been over to Australia twice this year to visit my brother and have watched loads of films on the plane - bad and good. Temple Grandin (true story about a woman with Aspergers who has achieved amazing things in her life), Adam (a romantic comedy (with sad undertones) about a man with Aspergers), Up (kids film) had me crying my eyes out, Made in Dagenham is very good.

I watched Bright Star (Jane Campion film about Keats and the woman he had an early love affair with) but that dragged on a bit, sumptuous but seemed to be without structure.

I was a little disappointed with Juno - it was ok but I couldn't see the point of it really - and Whip It was also ok but wasn't enough to keep me awake when the jet lag kicked in when I arrived in Australia!

I was listen to Dr Kermode for my film recommendations and he is very good at spotting misoygny and token women in films.

TethHearseEnd Sun 31-Oct-10 12:50:03

yy to The Lives of Others

RubberDuck Sun 31-Oct-10 12:51:53

Kick Ass grin

JessinAvalon Sun 31-Oct-10 12:52:42

I meant to say I always listen to Dr Kermode!

POFAKKEDDthechair Sun 31-Oct-10 12:59:19

Half Nelson. Together. Pan's Labyrinth. Fish Tank. Red Road. Let the Right One In.

Two great films but harrowing depicitions of life as a woman - 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, Lilja4Ever.

The Lives of Others a brilliant film but I was a bit irritated by the portrayal of the female character.

TrillianSlasher Sun 31-Oct-10 13:00:03

Juno was 16 - she had consensual sex with another 16 year old in a state where it is legal for 16 year olds to have sex. It was her idea, IIRC. What's unfeminist about that?

POFAKKEDDthechair Sun 31-Oct-10 13:00:26

BTW Juno was written by a woman. I wasn't hugely keen on the film, just wanted to let you know.

Mumcentreplus Sun 31-Oct-10 13:03:51

Whip it was crap...

A good Bette Davis film - All about Eve, The Anniversary etc etc...cracking films with character

Mumcentreplus Sun 31-Oct-10 13:04:38

I have never watched Juno ..concept did not appeal to me..

Prolesworth Sun 31-Oct-10 13:06:35

Message withdrawn

StayFrosty Sun 31-Oct-10 13:17:11

Prolesworth Sun 31-Oct-10 13:19:21

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now