Please tell me this is a windup

(63 Posts)
Theresaholeinyourmind Sun 03-Oct-10 15:57:09

Hi all,
Newbie here, lurking for a few weeks now and learning a lot. I haven't felt the need to post before but I just read an article in the Telegraph today about compulsive veil wearing in some schools
and I am beyond disturbed. Apologies for lack of link, can't work out how to do it.
Let me point out that I hate the idea of laws on what you can wear and not wear, was sort of against a UK burka ban as I thought it ultimately wouldn't help the people involved. But this, if true, is a bit much to me. Comments?

sarah293 Sun 03-Oct-10 15:59:22

Message withdrawn

sethstarkaddersmum Sun 03-Oct-10 16:00:43

here?
I'm assuming not a wind-up.
and yes, not good.

SleepingLion Sun 03-Oct-10 16:02:23

compulsive veil wearing? As in women/girls wearing the veil as a response to an irresistible urge to do so? confused

It tells you how to do links to the right of the box where you type your message, btw.

sarah293 Sun 03-Oct-10 16:02:30

Message withdrawn

Theresaholeinyourmind Sun 03-Oct-10 16:06:23

LOL @ compulsive, sorry post in haste and so on ahem compulsory!
Am posting and running now, oppressed female going to feed the family, will be back later to read and learn

Theresaholeinyourmind Sun 03-Oct-10 16:08:01

And re links, I can't find the symbol I need, this is a foreign keyboard

Susiewho Sun 03-Oct-10 16:12:25

It's an absolute disgrace!

MrsFlittersnoop Sun 03-Oct-10 16:17:44

Independent schools can impose any uniform policy they want. Why is anyone remotely surprised? It's called "parental choice".

Inflammatory Daily Telegraph headline designed to make people think their daughters will be forced to wear niquab at local comprehensive.

dittany Sun 03-Oct-10 16:17:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 03-Oct-10 16:21:31

MrsFlittersnoop Sun 03-Oct-10 16:22:58

I agree, would be interesting to see what uniform policies are for independent moslem all-boys schools.

I note that this uniform is only compulsory OUTSIDE school, i.e to be worn on the school run.

onimolap Sun 03-Oct-10 16:29:48

They are, according to the article, all fee paying secondary schools, and are free to set their own uniform.

They may inspected by OFSTED, unless they are also members of the Independent Schools Council, in which case they'll be inspected by ISI. They'll have to be registered with DofE (or whatever it's called these days)..

sarah293 Sun 03-Oct-10 16:39:54

Message withdrawn

dittany Sun 03-Oct-10 16:42:12

sarah293 Sun 03-Oct-10 16:48:09

Message withdrawn

Theresaholeinyourmind Sun 03-Oct-10 16:51:45

I agree with you Dittany on the subject of uniform.
Thanks everyone for your comments too.
My biggest beef here is the fact that this is being imposed on children. No mater how small the numbers of schools involved.
In the case of adult burka wearers, one perhaps has to accept that this is a personal choice, whatever doubts you may or may not have.

dittany Sun 03-Oct-10 16:52:12

dittany Sun 03-Oct-10 16:53:13

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 03-Oct-10 16:53:17

sarah293 Sun 03-Oct-10 16:53:50

Message withdrawn

dittany Sun 03-Oct-10 17:08:39

AnnieLobeseder Sun 03-Oct-10 17:58:32

Well, as far as I know JFS in North London makes wearing a kippah compulsory for all boys, and that's a state school. So this isn't a unique situation.

I don't like the idea of full body veil as a compulsory uniform, but I think it's more a question how are the girls being taught there?

If it's school that caters to a section of society which feels women shouldn't be seen, I find it hard to believe they'd be educating these girls to a level which would leave them with infinite career options. Are they taught that they can be anything, go anywhere? Or are they being taught how to be submissive wives and mothers.

But that could just be racist assumptions on my part, for all that I try not to be racist. And if so I apologise from the bottom of my heart.

sarah293 Sun 03-Oct-10 18:21:48

Message withdrawn

Sakura Mon 04-Oct-10 05:29:54

SGM "However, I think all school uniforms are vile, stupid representations of patriarchy."

WOW, that's an interesting argument. Could you elaborate/link?

I always thought they were a good thing, in the main, because of our class divide, and that they minimized the differences between boys and girls. They also stop schools being a "fashion parade" as my form teacher used to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now