Talk

Advanced search

Can take a newborn (bfed) baby to a feminism lecture?

(11 Posts)
Bumperlicious Thu 16-Sep-10 10:28:54

I really want to go to an hour long lecture by Natasha Walters on Living Dolls at a literature festival in a couple of weeks, but DC2 is due any day soon. This may even be wishful thinking as not sure if there are even tickets left, but I was just wondering, given the subject matter, whether I could get away with taking the baby in a sling with me, or is that just really inappropriate?

I could just leave the baby with DH but with the lecture being an hour, then getting there and back and parking it'll end up being longer and at that stage I will still be in the too anxious to leave the baby fug I think. He could hang around outside but will also have 3 year old DD to amuse.

Should I just give up the thought now? It's really annoying that the festival is on just as I will have had the baby!

sethstarkaddersmum Thu 16-Sep-10 10:32:00

I don't think anyone there will mind in the least, assuming you still feel like it after s/he's born!

Get there early enough to grab a seat at the end of a row and you can slip out discreetly if baby kicks off and feeding doesn't do the trick.

Good luck with birth and the rest of the pregnancy!

Just13moreyearstogo Thu 16-Sep-10 10:32:05

Feminists have babies too. I can't see anything wrong at all with taking a newborn to this lecture and if anyone has a problem with it then it truly is their problem.

sethstarkaddersmum Thu 16-Sep-10 10:33:06

(and IME this kind of thing is easier with a tiny newborn than with an older baby.)

AliceWorld Thu 16-Sep-10 10:43:31

Want to make it clear at the outset that I've never had a baby so can't understand that side of things, but if anyone at a lecture with a feminist took an issue with you having a newborn there they would seriously need to take a look at themselves! And I would imagine lots in the audience would be absolutely aghast if anyone took umbrage too.

elportodelgato Thu 16-Sep-10 10:44:12

Do it! nothing like getting them interested early IMO grin and everyone there will be very understanding / cooing I am sure. Feminist mums are beloved at such events I find.

TheButterflyEffect Thu 16-Sep-10 11:29:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bumperlicious Thu 16-Sep-10 11:34:56

I'll ring up and mention it when/if I get a ticket. My only concern is there may be a blanket 'no' to this sort of request, but I would hope that an allowance could be made given the subject matter.

I may not even fancy it, but I think the tickets are only £6 so not a big deal if I miss it. I could always send DH if I don't fancy it grin (fairly sure he would rather stick pins in his eyes than go grin).

TheButterflyEffect Thu 16-Sep-10 11:41:39

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 16-Sep-10 14:22:41

user1482899995 Wed 28-Dec-16 05:02:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: