Talk

Advanced search

Academic Feminism

(297 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Sat 28-Aug-10 09:56:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sakura Sat 28-Aug-10 10:25:59

I don't dislike academic feminism. I think Kate Millet's sexual politics which I've just finished reading is absolutely brilliant.

BUt my favourite feminist writers are not academic.

I think DIttany made a point about academic feminism being coopted by the patriarchy. I don't know enough about it but think that may have happened. I hear a lot of academic feminists say that women become SAHMs because they've been conditioned into the role and it seems academics somehow refuse to accept that women have a strong biological pull to their babies.
THis is a problem for equality but it must be looked at and accepted for what it is.

What do academic feminists think about the way the western patriarchy plays the world like a chess board? I am curious to know the academic feminist stance on this?

Sakura Sat 28-Aug-10 10:27:42

And actually I'm not sure what I mean by academic feminism? Maybe people who work in women's studies in academia; yes, connected to universities?

Prolesworth Sat 28-Aug-10 10:30:32

Message withdrawn

Prolesworth Sat 28-Aug-10 10:35:15

Message withdrawn

dittany Sat 28-Aug-10 10:38:25

Appletrees Sat 28-Aug-10 10:38:42

I think I've used the phrase pejoratively. I've used it to mean talking the talk and not walking the walk. Being so wrapped up in semantics and navel gazing it has become self indulgent. Believing, in an affluent society where we have this luxury, that semantics and a highly developed feminist consciousness are more important than, say, these fifty thousand women who spend their entire lives picking up faeces with their hands. Why would want to know about that when we can discuss the politics of lipstick? An absolute failure to marry ideas with the real world and a resolute absence of pragmatism.

That's what I would mean by it.

Prolesworth Sat 28-Aug-10 10:40:48

Message withdrawn

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 28-Aug-10 10:42:41

Sakura Sat 28-Aug-10 10:43:35

Totally agree Appletrees.

OTOH academic feminists have a bit more power because they can publish. They have to use that power well

YOur average woman, however well meaning, doesn't have the insight into the devastating way that patriarchy uses women's strength and time for their own means.

I think women need to have more awareness of just how fucking powerful "THe Patriarchy" is on the world stage. I think that's kept under wraps and perhaps that's where academic feminists have failed.

Appletrees Sat 28-Aug-10 10:45:14

Hello prole Oh dear for being sharp... must do better. I'm having great difficulty preventing the phrase "Dave Spart blithering" firing through my fingers in this topic at the moment.

Bugger. There it goes.

Prolesworth Sat 28-Aug-10 10:45:57

Message withdrawn

dittany Sat 28-Aug-10 10:45:59

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 28-Aug-10 10:46:16

Sakura Sat 28-Aug-10 10:48:22

SGM, What do academic feminists think about the way the western patriarchy plays the world like a chess board?

I'm really curious about this. I see this as a real problem brushed under the carpet

dittany Sat 28-Aug-10 10:49:03

Appletrees Sat 28-Aug-10 10:51:03

God. My reputation is not undeserved. Shut UP trees.

Prole I don't castigate the intentions. I don't doubt that all is being done in good faith.

Sakura Sat 28-Aug-10 10:51:13

that's what patriarchy has always argued Dittany. Why would a feminist argue patriarchy's point on its behalf? confused

dittany Sat 28-Aug-10 10:52:58

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 28-Aug-10 10:54:19

dittany Sat 28-Aug-10 10:55:36

Appletrees Sat 28-Aug-10 10:56:10

Well yes dittany but I don't think you have to work in a university department to be an academic feminist as I would see it.

If you carry yourself as I've described you fit the bill as far as i'm concerned. Of course that's just me.

gorgeousone Sat 28-Aug-10 10:58:24

I thought it meant, as has been suggested, the theoretical study of feminism rather than its practical application. So feminist active art, like 'the muffia' who work actively at challenging stereotypes at street level might be feminists in action rather than academic.
People who write a lot but who can be controversial, like Natasha Walter, might be academic feminists.
actually, have no real idea but thought i'd join in any way.

dittany Sat 28-Aug-10 10:59:15

Sakura Sat 28-Aug-10 11:00:58

Sorry I didn't understand your answer.

I mean, I personally believe that western patriarchy is using women for its own ends just like it has alway done.
So western women were allowed jobs because it flooded the market with cheap labour.

western Women are now being sent abroad to "educate" women in the third world

Meanwhile, at home, nothing changes, the power is still where it has always been.

I feel like there's an elephant in the living room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now